Re: Rohloff 8-spd link??

  • bikealfa
    Message 1 of 35 , Oct 1, 2012
      Rohloff x Schlumpf x 9 speed rear cluster x 4 front sprockets
      Alternately 12 rear sprockets and 3 front, but that is an even wider frame, and 12 sprocket blocks will be much more custom.

      Do the 9 speed cluster as a block with 11 speed spacing (I have 10 of these blocks; Recon makes them commercially or custom). You need the large sprockets to go over the larger diameter of the hub, so the sprocket gets close to the spokes.

      I have seen 4 front sprockets on a friend's 120 speed bike in the 70s, and I believe someone is doing that today for customers.

      Need to make the Rohloff axle extender and the adaptor from the cassette block to the threaded Rohloff. Probably need to weld the block to the adaptor.

      Also need an old steel frame where you are not afraid to make it 145 mm or so spacing, and asymmetrical.

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Cycle Monkey <cyclemonkey@...> wrote:

      > How do you get to 1000?
      >
      > Best I can think of is Rohloff + Schlumpf + 3 chainring & front derailleur
      > = 14*2*3 = 84.
      >
      > This setup offers 180: SRAM Dual Drive + 10 speed cassette + Schlumpf + 3
      > chainrings & front derailleur = 3*10*2*3
      >
      > Neil
      >
      > On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 8:25 AM, bikealfa <mtwils@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I know in principle how to build a bike with over 1000 speeds, using
      > > mostly commercially available parts, and not even the Pinion gearbox. It
      > > would violate the Rohloff gear input ratio though.
      > >
      > > Michael Wilson
      > >
      > > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pj" <prester_john_in_cathay@>

      > > > I'm waiting for the first bike that combines the Pinion gearbox with a
      > > Rohloff hub.
      > > >

      > --
      > Neil Flock
      > Owner
      >
      > Cycle Monkey
      > * Rohloff Service Partner
      > * Custom Wheelbuilding
      > * Distributor of Rohloff SPEEDHUBS, Schlumpf Gearing Systems
      > Gates Carbon Drive Belt Systems, Wipperman Connex Chains
      > Sapim Spokes and Nipples, No Tubes Tubeless Rims
      > Magura Brakes, Race Face Cranks
      >
      > www.cyclemonkey.com
      > cyclemonkeylab.blogspot.com
      > http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cycle-Monkey/304605066248161
      > 510-868-1777
      >
      > Mailing Address:
      > 713 Solano Avenue
      > Albany, CA 94706
      >
      > Service Address:
      > 6501 Fairmount Avenue
      > El Cerrito, CA 94530

    • John Harvey
      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 2, 2012
        "Maybe forgot the DualDrive is a hybrid hub - 3 speed IGH with a cassette .."

        OK, that does get 990.  Anybody care to calculate the gear inch range?

        John