Chaincase/Chainguard Availability

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2009
      I ran into this site today. He is importing the Hebie Chainglider
      chain cases and their chainguards as well as a dual leg bicycle center
      stand. Located in Santa Rosa, CA.

      Not classic looking but the chaingliders look like effective chain
      protection.

      http://www.bikefront.com/

      Rich Wood
    • vredstein
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 30 4:36 AM
        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood" <astronut1001@...> wrote:

        > I ran into this site today. He is importing the Hebie Chainglider
        > chain cases and their chainguards as well as a dual leg bicycle center
        > stand. Located in Santa Rosa, CA.
        >
        > Not classic looking but the chaingliders look like effective chain
        > protection.
        >
        > http://www.bikefront.com/
        >
        > Rich Wood

        Thanks for posting this. Just minutes ago I did a google search for "full coverage chain guard" and came up with nothing-just partial chain guards and complete bikes with full coverage guards.
        Funny thing it, now I'm considering building up my gearing around this as it fits a 38t ring.
        Where I work and park my bike, each morning a debris Nazi comes along with a leaf blower and corrals all dust, dirt, and garbage right towards the bike rack where I lock my bike up. It's frustrating to spend a night taking off my chain, scrubbing it with solvent, air drying it outside, and carefully lubing each link with Dumonde Tech using a needle dropper, only to have it receive a dusting of filth while sitting unridden at a bike rack. Seeing how I can't seem to find a cure for my clean chain anal-retentive nature, this guard will help.
      • Bobbie Martin
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 30 6:03 AM
          Have you considered a belt drive?
          Bobbie Martin

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 30 9:04 AM
            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Bobbie Martin" <mini1275@...> wrote:

            > Have you considered a belt drive?
            > Bobbie Martin

            That's a future consideration when the funds allow.
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 30 12:32 PM
              Belt drive requires either a purpose built frame or a modification to a standard frame by a framebuilder. Normally the seat stay or chain stay needs to be split to allow installation of the endless belt. Also fabrication of a removable piece to btidge the gap for normal operation. This makes belt drive on a frame not designed for it a hassle.

              Also I am not sure how many different lengths of belt are available in the non stretch configuration intended for bicycles. This might make achieving wanted gearing more difficult as could availability of belt sprockets and rings (cannot call them chainrings!).

              --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Bobbie Martin" <mini1275@...> wrote:

              > Have you considered a belt drive?
              > Bobbie Martin

            • Bruce Alan Wilson
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
                Have you ever considered talking to whoever is in charge of the grounds maintanance about your concerns/problems?