Re: new member, and some SA XRD5W observations

  • jbabic@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2012
      I'm no expert on internal gear hubs, just an enthusiast especially for the five speed.  Perhaps someone else can chime in with more insight.

      After following reviews I got a Kilo WT-5 from Bikes Direct.  One rider got a warranty replacement wheel from them that solved his problems.  You can read the saga here:  forums.roadbikereview.com/motobecane-mercier/mercier-kilo-wt5-review-bikes-direct-s-rf5-w-part-1-a-217344.html

      Perhaps you got a problem hub.  Before abandoning the five speed call Niagara and see if they can get you a new hub and swap internals.  I would like to know how they handle warranty work.

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "drew_devereux" <drewdevereux@...> wrote:
      "I got the hubs from Niagra cycles via Amazon. The spokes and rims were from my LBS. I built the wheels. All the spokes were the same length, conveniently enough.
       I tried a lot of micro adjustments while it was in 4th, until it would cause problems in 4th and the other gears. It didn't help.
       If I can't figure this problem out, I may just go to the SunRace drum brake 3 speed which (I think) does not have a number of issues with it.
       thanks,
       drew"

    • jbabic@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2012
        My apologies!  I finally took the time to read your blog and I must concede that I can be no help to you.  I usually read group messages before heading out the door to work in the morning and don't have time to read things as thoroughly as I would like.

        Congratulations on your beautiful bike.  Looks great.  I hope you get the hub straightened out.  I am approaching 1k miles on mine and it is running as fine as it was new.
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2012
          The new (W) range five-speed hubs select gear like the 1993-1998 Sprinter hubs*, via a 'Gear Selector Key'. On the last page of the Sprinter manual there is a Fault Diagnosis Chart:

          http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/files/view-169.pdf

          pj

          *This is different from the 1999-2008 Summit 'Ball Selector' hubs.
        • chkamb
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1, 2012
            I had/have very similar observations regarding my 9-speed SunRace shifter (for rear derailleurs) which is actually the same design as the SA 5-speed shifter but just with more speeds. To shift precise I have to push it "against it's index stop for the next higher gear" and then release it so it comes back to a precise position. I think it is an issue of what you mentioned with "travel in between steps" - unfortunately, the shifters are not very precise..
            Chris

            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "jbabic@..." <jbabic@...> wrote:

            > I have been riding my S-RF5(W) a lot this summer and really enjoy it. I adjusted my shifting so that when I change gears on my bar-end shifter I always finish by pushing the shifter against it's index stop for the next higher gear in an attempt at some means of consistency.
            >
            > I noticed that the shifter has some travel in between steps and depending on whether I was shifting up or shifting down the shifter lever would come to rest at a different place. The technique I adopted has allowed some consistency in selecting gears.

          • aarons_bicycle_repair
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 1, 2012
              I have overhauled over 20 of the 5 speed hubs. We sold a lot of Torker Graduates, as have many shops here in Seattle. It is a great bike. The only problem I have really seen with these hubs is damaged sliding keys. I think SA needs to make them out of harder metal. They mushroom and deform way to easily. Stock of replacement keys is almost out and I cannot get any of my suppliers to order more! Hopefully they will! This hub is one you really should never stand up on! However, even small riders that do not stand have deformed the keys!

              --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "jbabic@..." <jbabic@...> wrote:

              > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "drew_devereux" <drewdevereux@> wrote:
              > "HI, I just made a new city bike for my wife with an IGH...
              > ...However I do have an issue on this hub with gear #4. No matter how I adjust it, it will skip now and then in this gear."
              >
              > I have been riding my S-RF5(W) a lot this summer and really enjoy it. I adjusted my shifting so that when I change gears on my bar-end shifter I always finish by pushing the shifter against it's index stop for the next higher gear in an attempt at some means of consistency.
              >
              > I noticed that the shifter has some travel in between steps and depending on whether I was shifting up or shifting down the shifter lever would come to rest at a different place. The technique I adopted has allowed some consistency in selecting gears.
              >
              > I'm not sure if this will help your situation though I hope is it something so simple.
              >
              > If you don't mind my asking, how did you get your wheels?
              >
              > Best wishes.

            • drew_devereux
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 1, 2012
                Thanks for the responses everybody. I looked at the helpful manual and troubleshooting chart at the sturmey site. Then I took the hub apart again and scrutinized every detail. I reassembled it exactly the way they want you to. The sliding keys looked fine, and I could find no wear or problem with anything else.

                The intermittent slip in 4th gear persists. I tried different shifting techniques, but nothing helps. I don't think a warranty would be honored since I took the hub apart so many times. My thought now is to just get the 3 speed drum instead and hope it doesn't have the problems that some of the 5 speeds have. I don't mind walking the occasional hill, and my wife tends to avoid substantial hills entirely.

                Hopefully a more robust version of this hub is on the drawing table now!

                drew

                --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pj" <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

                > The new (W) range five-speed hubs select gear like the 1993-1998 Sprinter hubs*, via a 'Gear Selector Key'. On the last page of the Sprinter manual there is a Fault Diagnosis Chart:
                >
                > http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/files/view-169.pdf
                >
                > pj
                >
                > *This is different from the 1999-2008 Summit 'Ball Selector' hubs.

              • Dan Burkhart
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 3, 2012
                  --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "drew_devereux" <drewdevereux@...> wrote:

                  > I don't think a warranty would be honored since I took the hub apart so many times. > >

                  Don't jump to this conclusion until you try. I've twice had Sturmey Archer send me new internals diraectly simply by contacting David by e-mail info@... ,describing the problem and including pictures of the disected hub. I wouldn't even bother talking to Niagara about it. Go directly to the source.
                  Dan
                • Dan Burkhart
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 3, 2012
                    e-mail address didn't paste in completely
                    info @ sunraceusa.com
                  • drew_devereux
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 7, 2012
                      Thanks for the suggestion, and I will send an email explaining the situation and see what happens. The 4th gear skipping is not common I suppose. It makes it too annoying to use 4th so I am replacing this hub with the xrd3 speed. If the 5 speed can be warrantied and it becomes functional again I will keep it as an emergency wheel in case the 3 speed fails, but I don't have much confidence in the xrd5 design now.

                      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Burkhart" <boomer5319@...> wrote:

                      > e-mail address didn't paste in completely
                      > info @ sunraceusa.com

                    • drew_devereux
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 15, 2012
                        I sent an email explaining the situation and David kindly sent me a new shifter and hub internals. First I will try with the new shifter, and if that does not work I will replace the guts. If the new hub internals fix it, I want to take it apart to look at each piece compared to my old internals, and figure out what the problem was.

                        The new XRD3 runs like a champ though, so we may just stick with that for now.

                        drew

                        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "drew_devereux" <drewdevereux@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks for the suggestion, and I will send an email explaining the situation and see what happens. The 4th gear skipping is not common I suppose. It makes it too annoying to use 4th so I am replacing this hub with the xrd3 speed. If the 5 speed can be warrantied and it becomes functional again I will keep it as an emergency wheel in case the 3 speed fails, but I don't have much confidence in the xrd5 design now.
                        >
                        > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Burkhart" <boomer5319@> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > e-mail address didn't paste in completely
                        > > info @ sunraceusa.com

                      • Dan Burkhart
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 23, 2012
                          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "drew_devereux" <drewdevereux@...> wrote:

                          > I sent an email explaining the situation and David kindly sent me a new shifter and hub internals.> > >

                          Good show! Gotta love Sturmey Archer customer service.