Re: Nexus 3R-40/Sturmey XRD3 review

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7, 2012
      Nice write up.

      One doesn't need any special tools to liberate S-A internals, as seen @ 2:20 in this video:
      http://youtu.be/ea6krXSs-lc
    • joe ninety
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7, 2012
        good on you for taking the time. This is the kind of information it's great to have. And coincidentally you've echoed and reinforced all I was saying about drum versus roller brakes the other day ! Thanks

        Simon
      • jbfiets
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 7, 2012
          The hub I am referring to in my review is a newer style of Sturmey-Archer hub (pictured at the beginning of the review). The newer Sturmey-Archers use a ball ring with differently shaped indents that is impervious to the method in the video you cited (or at least much less susceptible) .

          In any case, I was also referring to the non-drive side locknut arrangement, which is also of a non-standard shape even for Sturmey-Archer.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 7, 2012
            > The hub I am referring to in my review is a newer style
            > of Sturmey-Archer hub (pictured at the beginning of the review).
            > The newer Sturmey-Archers use a ball ring with differently shaped
            > indents that is impervious to the method in the video you
            > cited (or at least much less susceptible) .

            Works fine on the new ones too.
          • Ted
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 8, 2012
              Thank you for your well timed review. I was looking on SA's web page tonight and was considering purchasing this hub. A quick check of the list found your review.

              I want to have a wheel made with this hub and put it on a coaster brake equipped bike that currently has a 110 MM OLD. Do you think it would work?

              Thank you,

              Ted