Nexus 3R-40/Sturmey XRD3 review

  • jeff bertolet
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7, 2012
      I did a long term review on my blog of the hubs I am most familiar with: Shimano Nexus 3R-40 w/ roller brake and the Sturmey-Archer XRD3. I didn't offer detailed overhaul instructions since they are pretty simple hubs, instead focusing on ease of shifting adjustment, bearing adjustment, and braking performance.

      If anyone has anything to add or any questions, I'd love to know and I could expand the review accordingly. More pictures would be nice, and should be forthcoming.

      --Jeff
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7, 2012
        Nice write up.

        One doesn't need any special tools to liberate S-A internals, as seen @ 2:20 in this video:
        http://youtu.be/ea6krXSs-lc
      • joe ninety
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 7, 2012
          good on you for taking the time. This is the kind of information it's great to have. And coincidentally you've echoed and reinforced all I was saying about drum versus roller brakes the other day ! Thanks

          Simon
        • jbfiets
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 7, 2012
            The hub I am referring to in my review is a newer style of Sturmey-Archer hub (pictured at the beginning of the review). The newer Sturmey-Archers use a ball ring with differently shaped indents that is impervious to the method in the video you cited (or at least much less susceptible) .

            In any case, I was also referring to the non-drive side locknut arrangement, which is also of a non-standard shape even for Sturmey-Archer.

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 7, 2012
              > The hub I am referring to in my review is a newer style
              > of Sturmey-Archer hub (pictured at the beginning of the review).
              > The newer Sturmey-Archers use a ball ring with differently shaped
              > indents that is impervious to the method in the video you
              > cited (or at least much less susceptible) .

              Works fine on the new ones too.
            • Ted
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 8, 2012
                Thank you for your well timed review. I was looking on SA's web page tonight and was considering purchasing this hub. A quick check of the list found your review.

                I want to have a wheel made with this hub and put it on a coaster brake equipped bike that currently has a 110 MM OLD. Do you think it would work?

                Thank you,

                Ted