Sturmey Archer AW Planet Pinions Chamfer

  • roy_healey
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 6 1:23 PM
      can someone confirm which side the chamfer should be I have a photo posted here
      http://raleightwenty.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=162006868
    • dmatthews.org
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 7 9:29 AM
        On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 20:23:47 -0000
        "roy_healey" <healeyroy@...> wrote:

        Hi Roy

        > can someone confirm which side the chamfer should be I have a photo posted here
        > http://raleightwenty.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=162006868

        I just took apart a spare hub I have and also looked through a box of disassembled bits - in every case the chamfer looks the same both sides

        This does not help either
        www.sturmey-archer.com/userfiles/manuals/AW_NIG_3_Speed_Hub.pdf

        I'd say ideally they go back the way they came out, but I doubt it matters in practise.

        --
        David Matthews
        mail@...
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 7 9:32 AM
          "roy_healey" <healeyroy@...> wrote:

          > can someone confirm which side the chamfer should be I have a photo posted here
          > http://raleightwenty.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=162006868

          Again although it throws no light on your query, a nice page here:-

          http://sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer/reassembly.html

          --
          David Matthews
          mail@...
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 7 9:57 AM
            cheers David for looking. found this youtube video showing the gears when he inspects them you can see a chamfer on both sides. I wounder if mine have missed a manufacturing operation and someone forgot to turn the blank over to chamfer the other side. I dont know which way up they were orginaly did not notice untill I reassembled.

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7exp06h2TLU&feature=channel&list=UL

            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "dmatthews.org" <mail@...> wrote:

            > On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 20:23:47 -0000
            > "roy_healey" <healeyroy@...> wrote:
            >
            > > can someone confirm which side the chamfer should be I have a photo posted here
            > > http://raleightwenty.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=162006868
            > >

            > Again although it throws no light on your query, a nice page here:-
            >
            > http://sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer/reassembly.html
            >
            > --
            > David Matthews
            > mail@...

          • aarons_bicycle_repair
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 7 11:51 AM
              it doesn't matter!

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 7 1:39 PM
                Hi Roy

                Over the years, I pulled AW hubs apart and slung them back together several times; I'd be almost astonished if you noticed any difference whichever way round you put the cogs.

                I think in recent years AW parts started to be manufactured all over the globe - either for cheaper labour or because the patents were sold - not sure. I remember reading once that this change resulted in an improvement in engineering accuracy.

                Don't get me wrong - I'm a big fan of the Sturmey AW, but I think clever design allowed for considerable tolerances. One result of that is they just keep going even when if things start to wear, another is that it will make no difference whichever way around you fit those cogs :-)

                --
                David Matthews
                mail@...
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 7 5:13 PM
                  Thanks everyone I am going with it doesn't matter. Did look at the exploded diagram linked to earlier in the thread if I zoom right in there is no chamfer shown on the pinion which its the same way round that I installed it. But there are chamfers drawn on other parts like the axle nut. I am sure if I fitted them the otherway up it would still work just as well.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 7 6:27 PM
                    > I think in recent years AW parts started to be manufactured
                    > all over the globe - either for cheaper labour or because the
                    > patents were sold - not sure.

                    The patents on the AW expired in the mid-1950s. That's why S-A introduced the SW, just as the AW, FW & etc were debuted as the patents expired on the K hubs.

                    If anyone has any verifiable information that parts for today's AW-NIG pattern hubs are made anywhere other than SunRace Sturmey-Archer's factory in Taiwan, I'd encourage them to bring it to the attention of all.
                  • David Matthews
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 8 3:35 AM

                      > If anyone has any verifiable information that parts for today's AW-NIG
                      > pattern hubs are made anywhere other than SunRace Sturmey-Archer's factory
                      > in Taiwan, I'd encourage them to bring it to the attention of all.

                      This is not exactly verifiable - and it's only a hazy recollection from maybe
                      5 years ago. Confession of a determined AW hacker follows.

                      I've had a late 40s era Holdsworth for over 30years, kitted out with an
                      aluminium sturmey hub, but with AW internals. Periodically I strip down the
                      bike, clean, grease & rebuild. On this occasion the AW internals, all
                      second hand, even together with my box of spares of dubious providence, did
                      not look like a good bet for a further 2,000 miles of smooth gear changes.

                      I saw new AW internals advertised somewhere (not ebay, but can't remember
                      where), the price seemed favourable enough for a gamble and I went for it.
                      I'm pretty sure it came from Portugal, as I have that in my head and don't
                      think I would have dreamed it up.

                      So I don't know for sure; I guess I could be remebering correctly, but Taiwan
                      was still the ultimate origin. I've had no problems with it anyway.

                      --

                      David Matthews
                      mail@...