Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: Would Stripping Torpedo 3 Improve Coaster Brake?

  • Sven-Olof Johansson
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 6, 2012

      Just a few points: coaster brakes can also be brass/bronze on steel, like for example Sachs Torpedo/Duomatic/Automatic. Still not a great brake, but good enough if you're not riding in San Francisco :)

      I know that the SA XL-series drum brakes are 90mm – I use an XL-FDD front hub on my cargo bike – but are there even bigger ones? 180mm is the same size as the rear brakes on my car ...

      /s-o

      6 aug 2012 kl. 09:44 skrev joe ninety <joe.ninety90@...>:

      Hi,
      some of the enthusiasm for drum brakes would have come from me. It's worth distinguishing between coaster brakes, roller brakes and drum brakes. While they share the basic idea of shoes pushing outward against the hub, a coaster brake is steel on steel, grease lubricated, with a drum diameter of about 60mm, Roller brakes have a larger drum, but still metal on metal with grease lubrication. Drum brakes have large drums (140mm or 180mm diameter for the sturmey versions), and proper fibrous brake pads. The performance, and the noise level, are much improved. It's also worth noting that the roller brake is the only one of the three that can be fitted or removed, and that roller brakes require long pull levers whereas drums require standard pull.

      Regards Simon
    • Michael Reid
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 7, 2012
        I've built a couple of Alfine's with 3x with no issues or concerns.
        I did build my Nuvinci 2x as recommended by the hub manufacturer.  Those flanges are HUGE, I tell you.
      • RobHalligan
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 15, 2012

          I started this stream wondering if my Torpedo coaster brake hub had a problem and if drum brakes were quant antiquities. In the end, it seems that my Torpedo brake is the quant antiquity. Bummer. Thanks all.

          Rob Halligan
          HalliganProjects.com