Broken brake pad in Fichtel and Sachs?

  • pedro_neutrao
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2012
      Hello,

      this is my first message to the group so here goes a short introduction.
      My name is Pedro, currently living in Germany (very close to the Rohloff
      factory actually) and I've been getting more and more interested in
      geared hubs. Since it's so easy to find nice old hubs around here I have
      only experience with 3 and 5 speeds.

      I finally finished the maintenance on a F&S Pentasport that was laying
      around and now I wonder if it was actually too much maintenance! The
      brake pad (I believe that's the correct name) is seen in diagrams as a
      single piece but in my case it's two pieces that look "broken"...

      The part I mean is marked here:
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/x10e2atq2pltfza/FSpenta2.JPG

      Later I did the same maintenance on an old F&S Torpedo 3-speed which I
      use often and noticed the same thing.
      The piece comes apart in two almost similar half-cylinders.

      Now the question is, are these things supposed to be like that or am I
      breaking them when trying to open the ring around them? Can I still use
      them safely?

      Thanks for any advice!

      Pedro
    • Paulos, Richard G
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2012
        Yes, it should be 2 parts, not 1. Are you putting the retaining spring back on? I would not bother to remove the spring/clip, just clean it as is.

        That is the brake shoe and it needs to move outwards (away from the axle) to make contact with the inside of the hub shell.

        Rick