Nexus 8 wheel lacing

  • xpinar
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 2012
      I'm about to build a wheel using Nexus 8 hub and a Mavic CXP 21 700c 36h rim with double butted spokes. Some recommend lacing x2 (a la Rolhoff), others x3. I'd prefer x3, but am concerned about the spokes angle at the nipple. What's your opinion?
    • Cycle Monkey
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2012
        With the large hub flanges, you'll get a better spoke-nipple angle with 2x, but we've built them both ways and haven't had any problems.  Most OE wheels will be built 3x.  The flanges are only 8mm smaller than the Rohloff flanges, so sticking with their guidelines is a good bet.  I wouldn't use 3x with a rim smaller than 700c.

        Neil

        --
        Neil Flock
        Owner

        Cycle Monkey
        * Rohloff Service Partner
        * Custom Wheelbuilding
        * Distributor of Rohloff SPEEDHUBS, Schlumpf Gearing Systems
          Gates Carbon Drive Belt Systems, Wipperman Connex Chains
          Sapim Spokes and Nipples, No Tubes Tubeless Rims
          Magura Brakes

        www.cyclemonkey.com
        cyclemonkeylab.blogspot.com
        510-868-1777

        Mailing Address:
        604 Quintana Place NW
        Washington, DC 20011

        Service Address:
        6501 Fairmount Avenue
        El Cerrito, CA 94530

      • hughckelley
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 21, 2013
          I have a Nexus 8 currently laced x3 in a 700C CR18 36H rim with Wheelsmith DB14 spokes. I've broken at least one spoke a month since I built it (each time at the threads). Spoke tension is 120 Kgf.

          Now that I'm out of spare spokes I'm rebuilding it x2.

          How did you end up building yours and how has it fared?

          Hugh
        • Alex Wetmore
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 21, 2013
            I built my Nexus/Alfine wheels 3x unless they are tiny, then I use 1x or 2x.

            Did you stress relieve the spokes? Spoke breakage rarely has to do with the crossing number, the only reason to use a smaller crossing number is if you can't do 3x because the first crossing takes place before the spoke leaves the flange.

            alex

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 21, 2013
              --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "hughckelley" wrote:

              > I have a Nexus 8 currently laced x3 in a 700C CR18 36H rim with Wheelsmith DB14 spokes. I've broken at least one spoke a month since I built it (each time at the threads). Spoke tension is 120 Kgf.
              >
              > Now that I'm out of spare spokes I'm rebuilding it x2.
              >
              > How did you end up building yours and how has it fared?
              >
              > Hugh

              I ended up using an Ambrosio Elite rim, because it's wider and I wanted to use 700x38 tires. Built it with ACI double butted stainless spokes (which I had to trim 3mm and rethread, BTW), x2. 2000km on it, no problems at all so far.
            • Cycle Monkey
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 21, 2013
                We've built Shimano gear hubs into 700c rims with 2x and 3x lacing, but we usually use 2x on 26" wheels.  We've never had a reported spoke failure on any of the wheels we have shipped out.  None of these used the CR18 rim though.  We bend the spokes at the nipple before initial tensioning to correct the line from hub to nipple.  This pre-bending reduces stress on the nipple threads.

                @ Alex: The number of crossings can influence spoke breakage, especially at the threads, as the hub flange diameter increases.  The larger the flange, the more the spokes have to bend as they exit the nipples on their way to the hub.  Rims with tighter holes contribute to more bending as they prevent the nipples from pivoting to self-align.

                Neil

                On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 4:23 PM, Alex Wetmore <alex@...> wrote:

[...]

                  Magura Brakes, Race Face Cranks

                www.cyclemonkey.com
                cyclemonkeylab.blogspot.com
                Albany, CA 94706
                510-868-1777
              • Michael Reid
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 22, 2013
                  I'd agree - 2x for 26", and either 2 or 3 for 700c.  120kgf seems a bit high - I tend to top out at 100 myself, but if the eyelets are up to the task, then why not?
                  My gut sense, though, is that the breakage may well be from the combination of slightly higher than normal tension and (as mentioned by someone else) the steeper departure angle from the eyelet.
                  -Michael
                • hughckelley
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 22, 2013
                    I had the tension at 100 or so when I first built the wheel. I took it up to 120 thinking that might help (it hasn't).

                    You can see the rim/nipple/spoke intersection here (still laced x3):

                    http://m.flickr.com/photos/hughkelley/8353435215/sizes/o/
                  • xpinar
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 22, 2013
                      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "hughckelley" wrote:

                      > I had the tension at 100 or so when I first built the wheel. I took it up to 120 thinking that might help (it hasn't).
                      >
                      > You can see the rim/nipple/spoke intersection here (still laced x3):
                      >
                      > http://m.flickr.com/photos/hughkelley/8353435215/sizes/o/

                      That spoke/nipple angle looks a bit steep to me, that's why I laced x2. The nipple head radius/rim interior area interface might also influence that angle. Stress relieving the spokes helps too.