Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Demystifying a Sturmey Archer 8 speed.

  • Keanu
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2012
      Thanks for sharing! Would love to see videos like that with other hubs, Alfines, Nexuses, i-Motions.

      On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 4:54 AM, Dan Burkhart <boomer5319@...> wrote:

      I thought some of you might be interested in this.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJIh64i9IAY

    • Ian
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2012
        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Burkhart" <boomer5319@...> wrote:

        > I thought some of you might be interested in this.
        >
        > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJIh64i9IAY

        Really interesting, thanks.

        I have recently converted my Moulton TSR8 that came with an early X-RF8 (still working fine!) with the X-RD8(w) - as I wanted the drum brake. The only 'problem' with it was that I had noticed more of a noise in 4th and (less so) in 6th gear than I was used to.

        From your film I guess that this is not abnormal, but a consequence of the design.

        I also see from your Youtube history, that you had a failure in 4th gear earlier in the month. Had the gearbox covered many miles?
        (I am presuming that it is you from your t-shirt in the film!)

        Thanks for the insight anyway.

        Ian
      • Dan Burkhart
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2012
          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <fjsrider@...> wrote:

          > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Burkhart" <boomer5319@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I thought some of you might be interested in this.
          > >
          > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJIh64i9IAY
          >
          > Really interesting, thanks.
          >
          > I have recently converted my Moulton TSR8 that came with an early X-RF8 (still working fine!) with the X-RD8(w) - as I wanted the drum brake. The only 'problem' with it was that I had noticed more of a noise in 4th and (less so) in 6th gear than I was used to.
          >
          > From your film I guess that this is not abnormal, but a consequence of the design.
          >
          > I also see from your Youtube history, that you had a failure in 4th gear earlier in the month. Had the gearbox covered many miles?
          > (I am presuming that it is you from your t-shirt in the film!)
          >
          > Thanks for the insight anyway.
          >
          > Ian

          I still have not been able to figure out why it was freewheeling in 4th. The only issues I found were the chipped pawl on the second stage, and a broken ring gear tooth on the third stage ring gear, caused no doubt by the same calamity.
          The control pawls on the axle seem to be worn a bit smooth as well, but a failure to engage a sun gear should just cause that stage to drive the next via the pawls instead of the planetaries.
          anyway, I've contacted Sturmey Archer and David has shipped me a new internal. Thumbs up for SA customer service.
          Dan
        • Colin Bryant
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2012
            Thanks for sharing that.

            --

            Colin Bryant
            Vancouver, Canada

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1, 2012
              I suspect the "problem" of strange noises in different gears is what lead Shimano to switch from ratchet to roller clutches/drive, in it's Alfine line.

              --

              Colin Bryant
              Vancouver, Canada

              > I thought some of you might be interested in this.
              >
              > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJIh64i9IAY

              Really interesting, thanks.

              I have recently converted my Moulton TSR8 that came with an early X-RF8 (still working fine!) with the X-RD8(w) - as I wanted the drum brake. The only 'problem' with it was that I had noticed more of a noise in 4th and (less so) in 6th gear than I was used to.

              From your film I guess that this is not abnormal, but a consequence of the design.

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 1, 2012
                > I suspect the "problem" of strange noises in different
                > gears is what lead Shimano to switch from ratchet to
                > roller clutches/drive, in it's Alfine line.

                Shimano introduced the old Fitchel&Sachs roller clutches in one of their cassette hubs back in the mid-1990s, but despite being quiet, strong and cost competitive, it received a collective meh from the derailleur world. (Some other brands of cassette hubs use the noise they make as an advertised feature.) The silent freewheel cassette hub joined aerodynamic groupsets, Biopace chainwheels, drop spindle pedals and automatic shifting IGHs on the 'they didn't buy it' pile, except for a single model specially manufactured for their 'law enforcement bicycle' parts group.

                They introduced their eight speed IGH to general acclaim and ever increasing sales, but in order to meet price points and maintain sales to OEMs they had to expand the manufacture from Japan to Singapore. To prevent putting Japanese employees out of work, they had to create a higher spec model with a greater perceived value that could command a price point commensurate with the cost of manufacturing it in Japan.

                So they resurrected the silent freewheel ideal, added a disc brake mount and anodized it black (all inexpensive features) and called it the 'Alfine'.
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 1, 2012
                  Brilliant video.
                • Colin Bryant
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 2, 2012
                    Actually the roller clutch appeared about 4 years ago, with no marketing fanfare (that I saw), in the Alfine line.  I've had one of each type of the Alfine 8 speed.

                    --

                    Colin Bryant
                    Vancouver, Canada