Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: Recommended Sprocket Ratio for Alfine 11 is 1.9

  • Colin Bryant
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 3, 2012
      It's possible to push against the seat of a recumbent and generate similar torque to a rider standing up on a DF (upright) bike, but usually considered bad practice.  Since a recumbent rider isn't generally generating that much torque at the pedals, but still needs to climb the same hills, lower gearing is often called for.  The end result is just as much torque on the hub.

      Wind resistance is lower, so top speeds tend to be higher.  I was happy with 8 speed IGH on my DF bikes, but wanted the wider range of my 11 speed, on my recumbent.

      --

      Colin Bryant
      Vancouver, Canada

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 3, 2012
        > If I only had to worry about the consequences of rational,
        > considered behavior, I think that life would be much simpler.

        I can't think of a single bicycle component that I couldn't tear up...if I wanted to.