Improved LSD Sanyo NIMH Batteries

  • Rich W
    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2012
      For those who use bike lighting or other electronics which uses AA or AAA NIMH batteries Sanyo has some improved versions of their low self discharge Eneloop NIMH batteries on the market. In the Eneloop line they now have Eneloop 1500 series batteries which are claimed to retain 75% of full charge for 3 years after a full charge. They are also listed as rechargeable 1500 times, thus the 1500 in the name. Available in AA and AAA. I found them on Amazon. The AA versions claim a capacity of 2000 MAH and by reputation the Sanyo cells are conservatively rated.

      There is also now an Eneloop XX high capacity AA version which claims a capacity of 2500 MAH. Quicker self discharge at a 75% charge retention after a year but the additional capacity may be useful. Also available from Amazon if not available locally.

      These low self discharge batteries are good IMO as they have a excellent charge retention and are thus available for emergencies or occasional use device power. Normal NIMH rechargeables self discharge almost completely in less than 90 days per my experience.