Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: Do You Use Headphones When Riding?

  • Rick Paulos
    Message 1 of 41 , May 9, 2012
      I took my helmet with me when I went cycling in
      and around Amsterdam. Got lots of snide comments
      from the locals. Yeah, one of the highest
      bicycle usage rates yet the only cyclists I saw
      wearing helmets were racers out training in groups outside the city.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickpaulos/7167469956/

      Here is a photo of the bikes we rented there for
      our 100km rides out of town. An urban IGH with
      every option on the planet. Fenders, rack, bunge
      cords, kickstand, generator, built in wheel lock,
      extra chain lock, lights, nearly full chain
      guard, sign on the front in the native language
      that I think translated to "watch out, clueless foreigner comin' at yah".
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickpaulos/7167470076/

      I talked to a former Trek drone who was in charge
      of helmets at one time and got the lecture about
      them. The packaging costs as much as the straps
      which is about the same as the styrofoam shell
      which is about the same as the product liability
      insurance. Yeah, about $4 total. Snell wanted
      $1 per approved helmet manufactured for their
      seal of approval. Adding the snell label
      increased their cost by 25%. He said it didn't
      make any difference if it was a $20 box mart
      helmet or a $150 race helmet, the cost of
      manufacturing and the amount of protection was
      about the same. The CPSC testing doesn't charge
      by the helmet manufactured so it's any easy
      decision to drop the now redundant Snell certification.

      As to Snell being tougher, each test is different
      and updated periodically and none will never
      match your crashes. The latest Snell bicycle
      helmet standard is nearly 15 years old which
      corresponds to the introduction of the CPSC
      requirement that all helmets sold in the USA be
      CPSC approved. I've yet to own a helmet since
      1970 that held up much more than 5 or 6
      years. Some of the materials just seem to
      dissolve by design. Most any helmet is dirt
      cheap compared to just 1 trip to the local emergency room.

      Rick

      At 04:43 PM 5/9/2012, you wrote:

> [...]
      >
      >As far as Snell approval goes the Snell
      >foundation developed safety helmet standards
      >long before there were any American government
      >standards for them. Thus many racing
      >organizations went with approval by the only
      >real approval body around. IIRC the SCCA was the
      >first to mandate Snell approved helmets. The
      >last I knew the only Snell approved bicycle
      >helmets available in the USA are those from
      >Specialized. Snell test requirements are still tougher than government ones.
      >
      >Nevada is one of the few states left that does
      >not require safety helmets for any age bicycle
      >riders except on some Indian reservations.
      >
      >Rich Wood
      >
      >--- In
      ><mailto:Geared_hub_bikes%40yahoogroups.com>Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com,
      >"aarons_bicycle_repair" <aaron@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I totally agree! Riding a bike really didn't
      > get dangerous until they started selling
      > helmets in the 1980s. All the helmet makers
      > said it was dangerous and everyone needed one.
      > The funny thing to me is that all early quality
      > helmets in the USA were Snell certified. You
      > couldn't sell a non-Snell helmet, hardly. Bike
      > clubs required Snell certified helmets. The
      > funny thing is: William 'Pete' Snell, who died
      > of head injuries in a car crash in 1956 while
      > wearing a leather helmet! So why aren't all car
      > drivers and passengers forced to wear helmets?
      > When moms come into my shop asking about the
      > safety of their kids on bikes, I tell them they
      > are safer than being in a car. You should never
      > put a loved on in one of those metal boxes!
      > (well not that often). And they should all ride IGH equipped bikes.
      > >
      > > --- In
      > <mailto:Geared_hub_bikes%40yahoogroups.com>Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com,
      > David Chase <dr2chase@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Even though I agree with your conclusion, I don't like your premise.
      > > > Riding a bicycle is not that dangerous; if
      > it were, mortality rates would not be LOWER for
      > bicycle commuters than they are for auto
      > commuters (even after adjusting for risk factors).
      > > >
      > > > Or rather, my main task when riding my
      > bicycle is to stay alive, but that has 9% to do
      > with avoiding crashes, and 90% to do with
      > choosing to ride the bicycle in the first place.
      > > >
      > > > That remaining 9%, is not a risk that is
      > intrinsic to the bicycle, but is instead
      > imposed on me by crappy infrastructure and
      > careless people operating heavy machinery in
      > public, at or beyond their cognitive abilities.
      > In the short term the most effective way to
      > deal with it might be to not wear headphones
      > while cycling, but long-term, perhaps we could
      > do a better job with road design and driver training.
      > > >
      > > > Sorry to digress like this, but when I read
      > things implying that "BICYCLE RIDING IS
      > DANGEROUS!!!!!" I cannot help but note that
      > this is false, and researchers have scads of
      > data to prove this. Driving cars to excess is
      > what is dangerous -- and we have the mortality data to prove that, too.

    • Rich W
      Message 41 of 41 , May 14, 2012
        Per an email communication with Audible Rush they are using speakers rated at 6 watts power handling each and with a frequency response of 155 Hz to 20 KHz. Basically similar specifications to a lot of boom boxes it seems.

        They are a relatively new start-up that started shipping sometime in the second half of last year. Started by cycling enthusiasts who wanted decent music quality while riding.

        Rich Wood