Re: Shimano 8 after assembley

  • nznmantas
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 29, 2012
      Yes, I had to take the axle mechanism apart, because return spring wasn't working properly. I'm trying to assemble it for about three weeks with no avail. It took two weeks to figure out how to put it back together, but now I'm stuck with the clutch problem.
      You have mentioned the axle pawls. Are you talking about pawls on the top of the axle unit or pawls that engage the sun gears?
      Anyway, I'm running out of ideas how to assemble this thing. I really need in manual or something.

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "aarons_bicycle_repair" <aaron@...> wrote:

      > did you disassemble the axle? If you don't get the springs back right it can cause problems with the clutch not moving properly.
      >
      > Sometimes the axle pawls can get damaged.
      >
      > However, remember, most shift issues are cable related. It pays to check to make sure the cable moves smoothly first.

    • nznmantas
      Message 2 of 14 , May 3, 2012
        I've uploaded a photo to give you an idea what the problem is. Check album "Nexus 8 axle assembly".
      • noha0815
        Message 3 of 14 , May 8, 2012
          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "nznmantas" <main32@...> wrote:

          > I've uploaded a photo to give you an idea what the problem is. Check album "Nexus 8 axle assembly".

          Maybe this can help you a bit

          http://www.hubstripping.com/shimano-inter8/shimano-nexus-inter-8-service-manual-SG-8C20-coaster-brake-en.pdf

          good luck

          noha
        • nznmantas
          Message 4 of 14 , May 10, 2012
            Actually, Shimano instructions are useless here, it doesn't cover how to assemble the axle unit (which is marked as a one part). Anyway, thanks for the link, never seen manual for C version of the hub before.

            I think I'm installing override spring incorrectly. Spring geometry is very crucial for clutch alignment. There's actually two spots where you can hook spring on. One is marked, other is not. Not sure which one is way to go.
          • markus.madetoja
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 10, 2012
              Hi,

              Did you have get it assembled right, because I have accidentally disassembled my axel unit? I haven't found any good information about assembling the axel unit. And I have problems with the springs that how to get them to right place and tension.

              Thanks

              --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "nznmantas" <main32@...> wrote:

              > Hello IGH fans,
              > As some of you might know, I have bike with Shimano Nexus 8 spd. hub. So, before riding it this season I've decided to overhaul everything. I've bought TL-8S20 and TL-8S11 special tools. Took the hub apart, luckly there was no corrosion inside, but grease was all black. I had to check right hand cone to be sure, removed it with tools and guess what? I found some pitting on it! Luckly I was able to get replacement one from Petracycles. When I was putting it black together I've noticed that shifting drum wasn't in it's starting position (shifter return spring on axle unit got disengaged while I was knocking cone with a hammer). So I have to assemble that little mechanism and now I'm stuck. I have no clue how to install that spring (bigger one) correctly. Its shape is very critical for installation of the clutch unit. Maybe some of you have some photos? Or advice? It doesn't seem that somebody have done this before, can't find anything on internet. I would really appreciate your help.
              >
              > Thanks!

            • nznmantas
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 15, 2012
                I somehow managed to assemble the unit and it appears to be working. The most critical step is to install over-ride spring equally otherwise clutch won't able to move correctly.

                Aaron is working on instructional page, but that could be a long time to wait. Maybe I could film the assembly process when I do my next overhaul of the hub, that would be about two or three weeks later.
              • nznmantas
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 26, 2012
                  It skips again. After doing an overhaul one day, it started skipping once again. I tried to reassemble a few times and it still doesn't function properly. It's a shame, I really like this hub, but Shimano doesn't seem to care about customers. They sell you tools, but don't give adequate instructions. Looking forward to fix this. Aaron, maybe you have finished the manual by the chance?
                • aarons_bicycle_repair
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 27, 2012
                    I have not finished it yet. Hopefully this winter.

                    --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "nznmantas" <main32@...> wrote:

                    Aaron, maybe you have finished the manual by the chance?

                  • wilcocornelisse
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 4, 2013
                      Hi all,

                      Just curious to know if there are any instructions around on the web about re-assembly the axle unit of an inter-8 (Shimano 8-speed hub SG-8R30, w. roller brakes) as mine fell apart when I wasn't paying attention.

                      I have been staring at all those springs, washers and cups but it does not make sense to me at all. I did find 2 sets of instructions but they are for inter-7 hubs and are quite different.

                      Any help would be highly appreciated

                      kind regards,
                      Wilco Cornelisse
                    • Zack B