Re: TranzX PST Presents Auto-Shifting for Standard Bikes

  • David Bean
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 12, 2012
      Wow. What an example of a high-tech "solution" in search of a problem. It
      implies that the unit will anticipate hills so the rider won't neglect
      shifting down when the pedaling gets "hard." Like, that would really make
      riding a lot more fun!

      David Bean
      Arlington, MA USA
    • Al
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 12, 2012
        This  high-tech hubs leave me with questions about the bicycle-using consumer. Obviously the manufacturer suspects that a market for such devices exist. But are the consumers who make-up that market truly knowledgeable and aware of the products performance in the real-world of everyday usage?  I suspect not and am reminded of the mindless purchasers of "ten-speed" bicycles of a few decades ago.  You remember those trouble prone bikes, which severely set-back the bicycle -as -transport movement. And I might say, were entirely unsuited for the needs of their naive purchasers.

         Keep it simple and consequently affordable and dependable.

         Please excuse the rant-like nature of this posting.

          Al in Philadelphia, who is both opinionated and devoted to the AW

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 12, 2012
          I'm forseeing 'distracted driver' issues. Riders
          too busy watching the digital dash to pay
          attention to road conditions. Like the the whole
          new crop of 19 yo coeds splattering their brains
          while texting and riding their scooters.

          I owned a CSA Autobike. The all mechanical
          autoshifting was very problematic. Biggest
          problem is it shifted when it wanted to, not when
          it should have. Second problem was due to the
          mechanical design, you had to slow way down prior
          to stopping to give it time to shift back into
          low. Otherwise you would start up again in a
          high gear while it wanted to down shift while you
          were pedaling under load trying to get going
          again. Third problem was the exposure to road
          grime. The mechanical action was in need of
          constant cleaning to function at all. The newer
          shimano systems address most of those issues
          except for the auto shifting. The first battery
          powered electric shift Shimano 4 speed I rode
          about 15 years ago was very slick. It had 2
          settings for shift points but the best feature
          was the soft touch manual mode. That manual mode
          was nice. The next version of Shimano's design
          used in the Trek Lime (about 5 years ago) was
          auto only and was programmed for very
          conservative riders, ie, raw beginners. That
          usually had me in high gear going up hills. No
          manual mode and it used a front dynohub for power.

          Rick