Re: TranzX PST Presents Auto-Shifting for Standard Bikes

  • bikealfa
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 12, 2012
      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pj" <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

      > > Whatever, it does seem
      > > to make a lot of sense keeping the battery topped up from a dynamo hub
      > > unlike Shimano's electronic shifting units which require you to plug the
      > > battery in to the mains once in a while.
      >
      > Shimano's earlier auto-shift units like the Coasting were energized by power from a front dynamo hub.
      >
      > pj

      Shimano at least used to offer something called the Cyber Nexus:
      http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/sg/index/products/city___comfort_bike/cyber_nexus.html#

      Michael Wilson
    • David Bean
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 12, 2012
        Wow. What an example of a high-tech "solution" in search of a problem. It
        implies that the unit will anticipate hills so the rider won't neglect
        shifting down when the pedaling gets "hard." Like, that would really make
        riding a lot more fun!

        David Bean
        Arlington, MA USA
      • Al
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 12, 2012
          This  high-tech hubs leave me with questions about the bicycle-using consumer. Obviously the manufacturer suspects that a market for such devices exist. But are the consumers who make-up that market truly knowledgeable and aware of the products performance in the real-world of everyday usage?  I suspect not and am reminded of the mindless purchasers of "ten-speed" bicycles of a few decades ago.  You remember those trouble prone bikes, which severely set-back the bicycle -as -transport movement. And I might say, were entirely unsuited for the needs of their naive purchasers.

           Keep it simple and consequently affordable and dependable.

           Please excuse the rant-like nature of this posting.

            Al in Philadelphia, who is both opinionated and devoted to the AW

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 12, 2012
            I'm forseeing 'distracted driver' issues. Riders
            too busy watching the digital dash to pay
            attention to road conditions. Like the the whole
            new crop of 19 yo coeds splattering their brains
            while texting and riding their scooters.

            I owned a CSA Autobike. The all mechanical
            autoshifting was very problematic. Biggest
            problem is it shifted when it wanted to, not when
            it should have. Second problem was due to the
            mechanical design, you had to slow way down prior
            to stopping to give it time to shift back into
            low. Otherwise you would start up again in a
            high gear while it wanted to down shift while you
            were pedaling under load trying to get going
            again. Third problem was the exposure to road
            grime. The mechanical action was in need of
            constant cleaning to function at all. The newer
            shimano systems address most of those issues
            except for the auto shifting. The first battery
            powered electric shift Shimano 4 speed I rode
            about 15 years ago was very slick. It had 2
            settings for shift points but the best feature
            was the soft touch manual mode. That manual mode
            was nice. The next version of Shimano's design
            used in the Trek Lime (about 5 years ago) was
            auto only and was programmed for very
            conservative riders, ie, raw beginners. That
            usually had me in high gear going up hills. No
            manual mode and it used a front dynohub for power.

            Rick