S3C Problem (repost)

  • OlyBikes
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2012
      Sorry, Yahoo didn't like my "from" address, and although I "see" this
      post on the group website, I don't think any of you saw it, so I am
      reposting (sorry if I am wrong) in a slightly edited/enhanced form:

      I haven't found any info online about this S3C symptom and would
      appreciate help
      from the list:

      - Gears 1 and 2 work fine

      - In gear 3, the pedals/cranks cannot be advanced at all

      This hub has a "two-piece" right-hand wheel nut (#42 in S3C exploded
      diagram). How
      many threads are needed showing on the axle for the final part (the knurled
      round "nut" with round holes in it to view the indicator chain)? I ask
      because
      on the LEFT side, the axle sticks out a bit past the left locknut. I was
      wondering if the axle's left-right
      position might be related to the symptom.

      TIA

      --
      Larry Leveen
      OlyBikes Locally-Owned Bike Shop

      124 State Avenue NE
      Olympia, WA 98501
      Phone: 360-753-7525

      Website: http://www.olybikes.com
      (FREE bike safety& advocacy materials)

      Newsletter Signup: http://eepurl.com/EN9D
      Blog: http://olybikes.blogspot.com/
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/olybikes
      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/olybikes?v=wall
    • Rick Paulos
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2012

        #3 That suggests there are broken parts stuck in the gears. Time for
        a dismanteling and inspection before you grind the rest to bits.

        Rick