Hourly shop-rate in North America & U.K.?

  • k3eax
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2012
      I'm new to the group have noticed quite surprisingly that many contributors rely, to some degree. on professionally provided mechanical work. And so my question: Assuming that bike shops charge by the hour much as do the auto motorcycle shops, what is that hourly rate?

      Al
    • Jim Avery
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2012
        On 1 April 2012 19:37, k3eax <k3eax@...> wrote:

        > I'm new to the group have noticed quite surprisingly that many
        > contributors rely, to some degree. on professionally provided mechanical
        > work. And so my question: Assuming that bike shops charge by the hour much
        > as do the auto motorcycle shops, what is that hourly rate?

        That depends ...

        One local bike shop charges approx GBP 42 per hour. I've not used
        them yet but have spoken to their mechanic and would expect to get a
        top-notch job from them. I'll shortly be asking them to service both
        of my XL-RD3 hubs as I have neither the facilities nor the inclination
        to do it myself.

        Elsewhere I have got small jobs done for free on the basis of
        goodwill, good custom whatever.

        Why are you surprised that some of us rely on professional mechanical
        work? For me the reason for using an IGH is because it's likely to be
        low-maintenance. If I wanted to spend my time servicing bicycle bits
        I would own more derailleurs!

        I have in the past successfully disassembled and assembled a 3-speed
        so I know how 'easy' it is and frankly I'd rather pay someone else to
        do it for me next time thank you. I'd rather be out riding!
      • Al
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2012
           Jim, thanks for taking the time to reply to my query.

           Now to answer your question about my surprise in finding some contributors turning to professional shops for mechanical  services. I suppose that I expect other cyclists to share my values.  Amongst those values are  the importance of self-reliance and the conservation of financial resources. But to each his/her own for equally valid but different values.

            Also, it's my belief that most any repairs can be a d-i-y project. While the first attempt at such my be imperfect, ultimately the owner becomes accomplished.

             Al in Philadelphia