Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Rohloff hard shifting

  • Thorsten Ostrander
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2012
      David,
      Do you utilize internal or external shifting?  When I rebuilt my wheel the cables on the external mechanism were frayed from improper initial install by the lbs.  They did shift fine until the last year.  After I installed the new cables, it was obvious how bad the originals were operating.  How old are your cables?
      Good luck,
      Thorsten

      On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 7:23 PM, David Dannenberg <ddannenberg@...> wrote:

      All,

      My Rohloff has become difficult to shift. I don't try at all under load, and sometimes I have to back pedal a hair to get it to shift. No other problems. I changed the oil recently. Any ideas about what I should look for to diagnose and fix? Does the shift cable stretch?

      Thanks.

      David Dannenberg

    • David Dannenberg
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2012
        Thorsten.

        Thanks.

        External mechanism.

        Cables are a couple few years old, installed original (by a friend and me following the instructions to the letter).

        I rode a bit today paying close attention to shifting. Does shift when peddling OK. Main thing seems to be play which makes me think it is cable stretch.

        I will give the Neil over at Cycle Monkey a call when I get a chance.

        David
      • ttostrander
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2012
          Hi David,

          I'm sure you already thought of this but perhaps a cable adjustment can help. This is from page 89 of my owner's manual and the .pdf available on Rohloff's website.

          "The shifter cable tension can be altered by the cable adjusters. When winding the cable adjusters out, the cable tension is increased. For the lightest possible gear change, the tension should be just enough, so that on the twist shifter there is approx. 1/2 gear (2mm) rotational play, when in a selected gear. The dot on the twist shifter body can be aligned to the correct gear number without altering the cable tension, by winding one cable adjuster in and the other out.
          ATTENTION
          Too much cable tension raises the amount of friction within the shifter cables and in turn, raises the force needed on the twist shifter to select other gears."

          Hope this helps.
          Thorsten