Re: does anyone do SHIMANO NEXUS 8 speed SERVICE/REPAIRS in the U.K.?

  • aarons_bicycle_repair
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2012
      Dear Matthew,

      Several things could be going on here:

      #1 Some early belt drive bikes had aluminum rear cogs. Aluminum is not strong enough for the IGH standard 3 notch engagement. Verify that you have a steel cog.

      #2 Cable "stretch" is the most common culprit in shifting issues. Modern cables really don't stretch, but rather the housing compresses and seats. Make sure you have metal ferrules too. Full housing from the shifter to the cassette joint is recommended.

      #3 Your hub's sun gear engagement pawls might be damaged. This can happen if you stand on hills and force shifts, especially if the hub indexing was out of adjustment. The way the axle pawls lift off the axle is very precise and if they are not all the way deployed, they can become mushroomed or chipped. If that is the case you need a new axle assembly but probably entire "guts" because that is what Shimano and most bike shops want to do.

      #4 Your axle nuts may not have been tight. The threads need grease and a torque of 32-35 foot-pounds. Loose axle nuts can lead to shifting issues.

      Cheers, Aaron Goss
      RideYourBike.com