Re: Tandem Bicycle with Sturmey AW

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 21, 2012
      > It is understood that other than the old Sachs/SRAM
      > P5 cargo or a Rohloff an IGH is usually not recommended
      > on a tandem.

      Electra has equipped their tandem models with Shimano Nexus 3-speed hubs for many years. The SG-3R40 freewheel model accepts Shimano's roller brake.

      Hmph! Looks like Electra has dropped tandem models.

      Sturmey-Archer has said in a post on another board that their new CS-RF3 and CS-RK3 hubs can be used on tandems.

      pj
    • bikealfa
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 22, 2012
        In the distant past Sturmey Archer made tandem versions of the K and the AW, the KT and AT, both with extra-large drum brakes. I believe little else changed internally from their small-brake counterparts. According to Hadland some hubs got stronger gears, like some of the KS and KSW, but I believe in all cases SA stopped the stronger gear plan.

        I do not know if there is a strength difference between the cut gears of the 50s and before, and the sintered gears from the 60s onward, but I believe SA did not think the AW was too weak for tandem use, at least up to the mid-70s.

        The mid-70s is when I stopped paying any attention to the bike industry until about 2000; I had what I needed and just rode the bikes. Many interesting parts went away during that period, much to my later chagrin.

        Michael Wilson

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pj" <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

        > > It is understood that other than the old Sachs/SRAM
        > > P5 cargo or a Rohloff an IGH is usually not recommended
        > > on a tandem.
        >
        > Electra has equipped their tandem models with Shimano Nexus 3-speed hubs for many years. The SG-3R40 freewheel model accepts Shimano's roller brake.
        >
        > Hmph! Looks like Electra has dropped tandem models.
        >
        > Sturmey-Archer has said in a post on another board that their new CS-RF3 and CS-RK3 hubs can be used on tandems.
        >
        > pj

      • frameteam2003
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 22, 2012
          Go with the hercules internals--same as Aw only better made