Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Tandem Bicycle with Sturmey AW

  • Cycle Monkey
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 21, 2012
      The most common failure will be complete loss of engagement/free spinning after a shear mechanism, ratchet pawls, or axle fails.  Depending on the hub design, this could be limited to one, several, or all gears.

      Neil

      On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 5:38 AM, D B <dallas098@...> wrote:

      The bike is essentially a beach cruiser and will not be used in a fashion that would likely stress a hub. I guess this question maybe should added:

      If a hub is installed and does not withstand the applied torque what are the likely consequences of a failure? Will the hub likely lock up or will the shifting instead quit working or ???

      Thanks,
      Dallas Blair

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Feb 20, 2012, at 8:14 PM, Cycle Monkey <cyclemonkey@...> wrote:

      Aaron can speak more about the other models, but the Rohloff Speedhub and Nuvinci CVP will both handle the loads.  Both of these have disc brake mounts and no roller or drum option, so you'd have to do some frame modification to add the extra braking you are after.

      I've got a brand new previous generation Nuvinci hub for sale that I bought to test, but never got around to doing anything with if you want to try one of these.

      Neil

      On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 9:12 AM, dallas098 <dallas098@...> wrote:

      I recently purchased a 1961 Fiorelli tandem bicycle which came with a Sturmey AW hub and which, at this time, works perfectly fine. I am now cleaning up the bike and working through some upgrades.

      Currently, the bike has sidepull calipers and I plan to enhance and add recundancy to the braking by adding a SA XL-FDD hub on the front and would like to do something similar in the rear. The bike is also getting a set of new Rhyno Lites which will help the braking some.

      It is understood that other than the old Sachs/SRAM P5 cargo or a Rohloff an IGH is usually not recommended on a tandem. I can state emphatically that between me and my wife that we are not a strong team and our tandem riding is leisurely. With that said, does anyone have a recommendation on what may be suitable for what we are doing? My goals are to:

      1) Add gearing range
      2) Enhance braking

      I currently have the following hubs laying around the shop, which will give me extra range, but not extra real braking. I'm not crazy about putting a coaster on a tandem.

      - SRAM P5 coaster
      - SRAM S7
      - Shimano Nexus 7

      Finally, I do not mind paying for another hub and am currently considering SA X-RD5(w).

      Thanks for any input or ideas you may have.

      Dallas Blair

      --
      Neil Flock
      Owner

      Cycle Monkey
      * Rohloff Service Partner
      * Custom Wheelbuilding
      * Distributor of Rohloff SPEEDHUBS, Schlumpf Gearing Systems
        Gates Carbon Drive Belt Systems, Wipperman Connex Chains
        Sapim Spokes and Nipples, No Tubes Tubeless Rims
        Magura Brakes

      www.cyclemonkey.com
      cyclemonkeylab.blogspot.com
      510-868-1777

      Mailing Address:
      604 Quintana Place NW
      Washington, DC 20011

      Service Address:
      6501 Fairmount Street
      El Cerrito, CA 94530

      =

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 21, 2012
        > It is understood that other than the old Sachs/SRAM
        > P5 cargo or a Rohloff an IGH is usually not recommended
        > on a tandem.

        Electra has equipped their tandem models with Shimano Nexus 3-speed hubs for many years. The SG-3R40 freewheel model accepts Shimano's roller brake.

        Hmph! Looks like Electra has dropped tandem models.

        Sturmey-Archer has said in a post on another board that their new CS-RF3 and CS-RK3 hubs can be used on tandems.

        pj
      • bikealfa
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 22, 2012
          In the distant past Sturmey Archer made tandem versions of the K and the AW, the KT and AT, both with extra-large drum brakes. I believe little else changed internally from their small-brake counterparts. According to Hadland some hubs got stronger gears, like some of the KS and KSW, but I believe in all cases SA stopped the stronger gear plan.

          I do not know if there is a strength difference between the cut gears of the 50s and before, and the sintered gears from the 60s onward, but I believe SA did not think the AW was too weak for tandem use, at least up to the mid-70s.

          The mid-70s is when I stopped paying any attention to the bike industry until about 2000; I had what I needed and just rode the bikes. Many interesting parts went away during that period, much to my later chagrin.

          Michael Wilson

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pj" <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

          > > It is understood that other than the old Sachs/SRAM
          > > P5 cargo or a Rohloff an IGH is usually not recommended
          > > on a tandem.
          >
          > Electra has equipped their tandem models with Shimano Nexus 3-speed hubs for many years. The SG-3R40 freewheel model accepts Shimano's roller brake.
          >
          > Hmph! Looks like Electra has dropped tandem models.
          >
          > Sturmey-Archer has said in a post on another board that their new CS-RF3 and CS-RK3 hubs can be used on tandems.
          >
          > pj

        • frameteam2003
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 22, 2012
            Go with the hercules internals--same as Aw only better made