S3X shifters

  • Michael Reid
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 19, 2012
      The shifter that came with my S3X was made to be a bar-end shifter, but the shift lever can be removed from the bar-end mount and used as a downtube shifter (if DT bosses are present).  I'm not sure if they've changed the format since I bought my hub (2 years ago).
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 20, 2012
        > I'm not sure if they've changed the
        > format since I bought my hub (2 years ago).

        Sturmey will package the hub kits up any way a large order distributor wants. The the N.A. market there have always been S3X kits that came with the thumb shifter and kits that came with the bar end shifter.

        pj
      • Steven Johnson
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 20, 2012
        Here is how I have rigged up the S3X shifters.

        Steve
      • Paulos, Richard G
        Message 4 of 6 , Feb 20, 2012
          since the SA shifter is compatible with a standard down tube boss, how about brazing a down tube boss to the side of a steel handlebar stem. If you decide to move the hub to another bike, take the stem along. Simple, low cost.

          That extra stem reminds me of when Dave Zabriske knee'd his handlebars and went splat at the tour de france ttt while wearing the yellow. the team left him behind.

          rick

          Message 5 of 6 , Feb 20, 2012
            Rick,

            I don't have a torch at this point and the stem on the bike is threadless, but to steal the suggestion  I wonder what this spacer is threaded:
            http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/spacer-bell-mount.html

            I need to drive down to Annapolis and see. I need one of these anyway:

            Thanks, Steve

            ________________________________
            since the SA shifter is compatible with a standard down tube boss, how about brazing a down tube boss to the side of a steel handlebar stem.  If you decide to move the hub to another bike, take the stem along.  Simple, low cost.

            That extra stem reminds me of when Dave Zabriske knee'd his handlebars and went splat at the tour de france ttt while wearing the yellow. the team left him behind.

            rick

            [Attachment(s) from Steven Johnson included below]

            Here is how I have rigged up the S3X shifters.

            Steve

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                Geared_hub_bikes-digest@yahoogroups.com
                Geared_hub_bikes-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Steven Johnson
            Message 6 of 6 , Feb 26, 2012
            Took it out for a four mile shakedown yesterday, and did an 11 mile today with several climbs.

            It is nice to be able to downshift, and using the Suntour Barcon I did not have it slip out of gear.

            Still don't trust it in second and first gear. Too many harsh memories of what my Sturmey Archer AW did to me in the 60s.

            Steven Johnson, Millersville, MD