Pairing a Rohloff with a Schlumpf High Speed Drive

  • gordonKoppang
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2012
      "Jim's Fargo" was a custom made quadracycle built by Utah Trikes. The Fargo used a Rohloff hub and a Schlumpf High Speed Drive with a 27t sprocket. If I remember correctly, the smallest sprocket you can fit to a Rohloff and stay within the mandated sprocket ratio is 32t. The vehicle was heavy to start with, and Jim was pulling a trailer and climbing steep hills. To make a long story short, Jim sheered the nylon pins in the Rohloff. You can read more here:

      http://www.utahtrikes.com/RECENTTRIKE-Jims_Fargo.html

      And here…

      http://cyclingexperiences.com/2010/06/16/my-cycling-experiences-on-tour-day-03-mechanical-2-3/

      GK
    • Cycle Monkey
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 11, 2012
        Rohloff guarantees that their hubs will work properly if the primary ratio does not fall below 2.35 for standard riders or 2.5 for tandems or riders over 100kg/221 lbs.  This equates to 38T and 40T chainrings, respectively, when using the stock 16T sprocket.  This quad would fall into the 2.5 ratio category; the 27T HSD sprocket was way too small (1.69 ratio) for such a heavy vehicle.

        Neil

        --
        Neil Flock
        Owner

        Cycle Monkey
        * Rohloff Service Partner
        * Custom Wheelbuilding
        * Distributor of Rohloff SPEEDHUBS, Schlumpf Gearing Systems
          Gates Carbon Drive Belt Systems, Wipperman Connex Chains
          Sapim Spokes and Nipples, No Tubes Tubeless Rims
          Magura Brakes

        www.cyclemonkey.com
        cyclemonkeylab.blogspot.com
        510-868-1777