Need advice on which dynamo headlight/tailight combo to buy

  • sinutt02
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 7, 2009
      Hello all,

      After waiting for over a month for a Supernova E3 asymmetrical and
      taillight to ship from Germany, I canceled my order. Now I'm up in
      the air about ordering the E3 stateside. I am also looking at the
      Lumotec IQ Cyo since it is about half the price of the Supernova E3.
      Has anyone seen both side by side? Any links to beam shots of both?
      I can find them separately, but not in th esame test. Thanks for the
      help.

      Rob
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 7, 2009
        Rob;

        Give Peter White Cycles a call. They are the U.S. importer for
        both. Peter is supposed to be posting photos of the IQ Cyo light
        spread per the web site but has not yet done so last I checked.

        I installed the Lumotec IQ Cyo Senso Plus light recently and have
        been pleased with both output and beam shape but have nothing to
        compare it to other than the original Shimano generator light that
        came with the bike. No comparison at all! Much more light while
        being smaller and lighter than the Shimano light. The standlight
        also makes it much safer IMO.

        I have not yet installed a generator taillight. I will probably be
        ordering the DToplight XS Plus.

        Rich Wood

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "sinutt02" <sinutt02@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > After waiting for over a month for a Supernova E3 asymmetrical and
        > taillight to ship from Germany, I canceled my order. Now I'm up
        in
        > the air about ordering the E3 stateside. I am also looking at the
        > Lumotec IQ Cyo since it is about half the price of the Supernova
        E3.
        > Has anyone seen both side by side? Any links to beam shots of
        both?
        > I can find them separately, but not in th esame test. Thanks for
        the
        > help.
        >
        > Rob

      • sinutt02
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 7, 2009
          Rich,

          Thanks. I saw where you had installed the Cyo on BF. I was planning
          on ordering from Peter White. Should have done that to begin with,
          but thought ordering direct would be cheaper. So did you get your Cyo
          from Peter? I have the battery version on the B&M 4DToplight tailight
          on another bike and it is great. I think you can't go wrong with
          getting the generator version. Now I just have to decide if I want to
          go all out and get the Supernova lights... decisions, decisions...

          Rob

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 7, 2009
            Rob;

            Yes I got mine from Peter. Per my measurements BTW it is just under
            2.75" long and just over 2" in diameter at the largest point.
            Dimensions do not include the mount. Not as compact as the light
            head for many of the separate battery pack headlights but still a
            lot smaller than the Shimano generator light.

            wrote:

            > Rich,
            >
            > Thanks. I saw where you had installed the Cyo on BF. I was
            planning
            > on ordering from Peter White. Should have done that to begin
            with,
            > but thought ordering direct would be cheaper. So did you get your
            Cyo
            > from Peter? I have the battery version on the B&M 4DToplight
            tailight
            > on another bike and it is great. I think you can't go wrong with
            > getting the generator version. Now I just have to decide if I
            want to
            > go all out and get the Supernova lights... decisions, decisions...
            >
            > Rob
            >
            > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"
            > <astronut1001@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Rob;
            > >
            > > Give Peter White Cycles a call. They are the U.S. importer for
            > > both. Peter is supposed to be posting photos of the IQ Cyo
            light
            > > spread per the web site but has not yet done so last I checked.
            > >
            > > I installed the Lumotec IQ Cyo Senso Plus light recently and
            have
            > > been pleased with both output and beam shape but have nothing to
            > > compare it to other than the original Shimano generator light
            that
            > > came with the bike. No comparison at all! Much more light
            while
            > > being smaller and lighter than the Shimano light. The
            standlight
            > > also makes it much safer IMO.
            > >
            > > I have not yet installed a generator taillight. I will probably
            be
            > > ordering the DToplight XS Plus.
            > >
            > > Rich Wood
          • sinutt02
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 7, 2009
              Rich,

              Cool. One more thing. Do you have any pics of the Cyo installed?
              You can email them to me off post if you want to. I have Canti brakes
              and I am wondering about the stock mount working with them. I guess
              Peter will know too. Thanks for all your help.

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 8, 2009
                Rob;

                I am lousy about taking pictures. I need to take some of several of
                my bikes and upload them.

                I did a handlebar mount as the Civia's disc brake fork has no
                provisions for a top of fork mounting and I was not about to do any
                drilling on a CF fork. Peter White just got in the headlight mount
                for 31.8mm bars and it is not yet shown on the web site that I could
                find but I ordered it with the light anyway. Worked fine for me
                other than having to extend the wiring harness a bit.

                IMO for the version of the IQ Cyo headlight I got the bar location
                is best as the three position rotary mode switch assembly makes up
                the rear of the light body. A lot easier to reach than if mounted
                down at the normal top of fork position.

                wrote:

                > Rich,
                >
                > Cool. One more thing. Do you have any pics of the Cyo
                installed?
                > You can email them to me off post if you want to. I have Canti
                brakes
                > and I am wondering about the stock mount working with them. I
                guess
                > Peter will know too. Thanks for all your help.
                >
                > Rob
                >

                > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood"
                > <astronut1001@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Rob;
                > >
                > > Yes I got mine from Peter. Per my measurements BTW it is just
                under
                > > 2.75" long and just over 2" in diameter at the largest point.
                > > Dimensions do not include the mount. Not as compact as the
                light
                > > head for many of the separate battery pack headlights but still
                > > lot smaller than the Shimano generator light.
                > >
                > > Rich Wood

              • wahooncx
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 8, 2009
                  Rich...waiting on pictures too ;>)

                  I have a Giant Excursion that has a rack mounted headlight that could
                  stand an upgrade and the Cyo is the only one that I think might fit.
                  FWIW it has a bottom bracket generator vs the dynohub.

                  Aaron