Shimano 8R20 Right hand side seal replacement problems

  • nznmantas
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5 3:11 AM
      About a few months ago I have brought a second hand bicycle equipped with Shimano Nexus 8 spd. hub. (Model is 8R20). I'm planning to replace the seal on right hand side of the hub, since there is a lot of reports about water contamination and large race bearing failures. I read some Shimano pdf docs and they say that their new improved seals are interchangeable with all 8spd models. But I looked up datasheets for specific model of hub, and on interchangeability table it says that new seals (Y-37G 98080) A spec. are compatible with 8R22, but not 8R20. Since 8R22 and 8R20 shells are interchangeable, so that means that internal assembly is somewhat different. Should I risk to buy those seals, or should I run with what I have? Have some of you tried to do this?
    • aarons_bicycle_repair
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7 1:34 PM
        We stock these dust cap/seals. There are 2 parts you need:

        Shimano Nexus 8 Large Plastic Right Hand Dust Cap "A" (A Spec.) with Rubber Main Seal Y-37G 98080 $14.99

        Shimano Nexus 8 Right Hand Dust Cap "C" (A spec.) Y-36R 07000 $4.99

        email me if you want them. aaron@...

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 9 9:47 AM
          Thanks for reply.
          Are these seals actually interchangeable with my hub? Shimano says that these dust caps work will with all models of this hub except 8R20 and 8C20.
          Here's documentation: http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/SG/EV-SG-8R30-2727C_v1_m56577569830689519.pdf