Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: Why Geared Hubs & Coaster Brakes?

  • Aaron Whaley
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 7, 2009
      Perhaps. I have very little experience with the German coaster brakes. I have had a multitude of experience with SA TCS and various Bendix and a bit with Shimanos. Bendix was a decent product, but I think the Sachs and Torpedo were easier to modulate. The SA TCS doesn't qualify as a brake, merely a speed reduction device to slow the bike enough you don't break your ankle when you put your foot down. I currently have a couple of the TCS, a Bendix 2 speed and a non working Shimano. I have been on the search for a IGH SRAM with coaster brake...but don't want to have to pay the price of a new one.

      Aaron

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 7, 2009
        The Sachs Torpedo single speed coaster brake hub design continues production in the Czech
        Republic by Velosteel.

        http://kogswell.com/siteVELOSTEEL.php

        I don't know about other markets, but in N.A. the coaster is experiencing something of a
        revival as a brake on bike-shop quality, adult machines with increased "city bike" offerings.
        Some pretty expensive bikes are being spec'd with coaster brakes, including a nearly $900
        Masi model that has ONLY the rear coaster.

        SRAM has revived the roller actuated coaster design in their new i9 and i3 hubs.

        Sturmey's new S50(W) hubs promise upgraded, more powerful coaster brakes.

        PJ