Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: spoke orientation for IGH+drum wheels

  • Tom Reingold
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 29, 2012

      On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 8:11 PM, Dan Burkhart <boomer5319@...> wrote:

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Greg Merritt <greg.merritt@...> wrote:

      > How do you all typically build an IGH wheel with drum brake?
      >
      > Do folks typically put all leading spokes with heads out for the most
      > direct spoke line for the spokes subjected to the hub braking forces?
      > Since there's no chance whatsoever for the drive side to flex out and
      > interfere with the (nonexistent) derailleur under pedal force when the
      > drive side trailing spokes push outboard at the leading/trailing cross
      > point, it seems like leading heads oriented outboard all around would
      > be the way to go.
      >
      > Ditto for a front drum hub, eh?
      >
      > Hoping to receive my box full o' wheel bits by Wednesday, including SA
      > drum/5speed and drum/dynamo.  I can't wait!
      >
      > -Greg

       I build all my wheels with the leading spokes heads out for no other reason than that's the habit I fell into when I began building wheels, and I can lace them that way in my sleep.
       I really believe there is no technical reason, other than derailleur interference under torque to lace them one way or the other.

      Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I just noticed this.

      Spokes fatigue not from increased tension but from decreased tension. With that said, it still doesn't matter which way you lace a wheel. To my knowledge one has found that one way is better than another.

      Tom Reingold
      Maplewood, NJ