Re: Why Geared Hubs & Coaster Brakes?

  • sam lingo
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 6, 2009

      > Why the popularity of the coaster brake in Germany, weather? I would
      > have thought from the point of rider convenience the drum brake would
      > be preferable.
      >
      > Rich Wood

      Coasters and drum brakes are really the same brake in that both use
      friction shoes on the inside of the hub.drums are cable opperated where
      as coasters have a screw and block devise that opperates the shoes.
      The torpedo coaster was the longest lived hub ever made.Made from 1905
      till sometimes in the 80s when the swiss stopped using it on their army
      bicycle.
      My take on coasters is America got coasters right--very simple and
      highly reliable--where as europian coasters seem complated.You really
      can't beat a bendix coaster.
    • Aaron Whaley
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 7, 2009
        Perhaps. I have very little experience with the German coaster brakes. I have had a multitude of experience with SA TCS and various Bendix and a bit with Shimanos. Bendix was a decent product, but I think the Sachs and Torpedo were easier to modulate. The SA TCS doesn't qualify as a brake, merely a speed reduction device to slow the bike enough you don't break your ankle when you put your foot down. I currently have a couple of the TCS, a Bendix 2 speed and a non working Shimano. I have been on the search for a IGH SRAM with coaster brake...but don't want to have to pay the price of a new one.

        Aaron

        > Why the popularity of the coaster brake in Germany, weather? I would
        > have thought from the point of rider convenience the drum brake would
        > be preferable.
        >
        > Rich Wood

        Coasters and drum brakes are really the same brake in that both use
        friction shoes on the inside of the hub.drums are cable opperated where
        as coasters have a screw and block devise that opperates the shoes.
        The torpedo coaster was the longest lived hub ever made.Made from 1905
        till sometimes in the 80s when the swiss stopped using it on their army
        bicycle.
        My take on coasters is America got coasters right--very simple and
        highly reliable--where as europian coasters seem complated.You really
        can't beat a bendix coaster.

      • prester_john_in_cathay
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 7, 2009
          The Sachs Torpedo single speed coaster brake hub design continues production in the Czech
          Republic by Velosteel.

          http://kogswell.com/siteVELOSTEEL.php

          I don't know about other markets, but in N.A. the coaster is experiencing something of a
          revival as a brake on bike-shop quality, adult machines with increased "city bike" offerings.
          Some pretty expensive bikes are being spec'd with coaster brakes, including a nearly $900
          Masi model that has ONLY the rear coaster.

          SRAM has revived the roller actuated coaster design in their new i9 and i3 hubs.

          Sturmey's new S50(W) hubs promise upgraded, more powerful coaster brakes.

          PJ