non-horizontal dropouts vs. S-A drum brake

  • Greg Merritt
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 61 KB
    My new S-A X-RD5 IGH/drum hub is going on an old (1950s) Dutch "3
    speed" whose dropouts are not quite horizontal. This means that the
    drum brake arm that's supposed to clamp to the chain stay sits far
    away from the stay; I can't just bolt it up with the provided clamp.

    Is it possible to reorient the brake arm? Do I need to come up with a
    different clamp?

    Thanks for any tips!

    -Greg
  • Jim Avery
    Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2011
      On 29 December 2011 20:25, Greg Merritt <greg.merritt@...> wrote:

      > My new S-A X-RD5 IGH/drum hub is going on an old (1950s) Dutch "3
      > speed" whose dropouts are not quite horizontal. This means that the
      > drum brake arm that's supposed to clamp to the chain stay sits far
      > away from the stay; I can't just bolt it up with the provided clamp.
      >
      > Is it possible to reorient the brake arm? Do I need to come up with a
      > different clamp?

      Yes. To rotate the brake torque arm, just loosen off the lock nut on
      that side, rotate it to where you need it to go, then make sure the
      L/H cone is tightened correctly (finger-tighten it gently then loosen
      off a quarter turn) then tighten up the lock nut again.

      I find it quite difficult to gauge exactly when the torque arm is in
      the right position, so it's probably best to do this with the hub in
      situ on the bike if you at all can. You'll need a 17mm lock nut
      wrench to do that though, and whether you will have space to get the
      wrench in there depends on the shape of your rear triangle I expect.
      I've not tried it myself yet so have usually done this adjustment off
      the bike then found it to be wrong and had to retry a few times to get
      it right. I've only just bought the 17mm lock nut wrench myself in
      the hope it will be easier for me next time.

      I find doing it off the bike it helps to line up a steel rule against
      the flat side of the axle so you can see easily exactly how the torque
      arm lies relative to the plane of the axle flat. Do this before you
      loosen anything off so you can note exactly what your starting point
      is and work relative to that.

      I hope that makes sense. You'll find a helpful video entitled "hub
      gear with brake" showing how to do this in the Technical section at
      http://togglechaintour.co.uk/ .
    • Greg Merritt
      Message 3 of 3 , Dec 29, 2011
        Awesome!!  Thanks again, Jim.  This is very, very helpful.

        -Greg