XCE500 Redline Shimano Dynamo

  • Frank White
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 28, 2011
      http://clevercycles.com/#Redline---Alex-XCE500-36H

      http://www.amazon.com/XCE500-Redline-Shimano-Dynamo-Silver/dp/B000QSXM10

      Anyone have one of these?

      Are you using it in the rain?

      Have you had any issues with the rim?

      --
      -Frank White
    • David Chase
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 28, 2011
        Hah, gotta love Amazon. "You purchased this item on Dec 6, 2010." So the answer is "yes". They are on my son's bicycles. They don't get used that much in the rain, but they get zero maintenance, and live outdoors, in Boston weather.

        Haven't paid that much attention to the rim; the wheels still turn, last I checked, but it's not my bike.

        David

        On 2011-11-28, at 10:03 PM, Frank White wrote:

        > http://clevercycles.com/#Redline---Alex-XCE500-36H
        >
        > http://www.amazon.com/XCE500-Redline-Shimano-Dynamo-Silver/dp/B000QSXM10
        >
        > Anyone have one of these?
        >
        > Are you using it in the rain?
        >
        > Have you had any issues with the rim?
      • Mike Wilson
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 29, 2011
          I have the 700c version on my Motobecane Nomad snow commuter, and both hub and rim have worked just fine.

          I bought a second one for my ice commuter, not that I will be able to ride this winter.

          As a random note, the ice commuter has a nexus 8 coaster brake using a Shimano 8 speed brifter and a travel agent, while the snow commuter has 2 rim brakes (weinmann 610 front and long-reach tektro sidepull rear) and most of an 11-34 xtr mountain cassette.

          Michael Wilson
        • Rick Paulos
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 29, 2011
            I have a number of dynohubs, Sturmey Archer, SON, Shimano.

            Never used any in the rain. IMO, riding in the dark & rain on
            streets/roads around here is an invite to get run over. The main
            issue in the rain would be water penetration. Shimano dyno hubs are
            pretty tight but water will get in to pretty much anything after
            enough exposure.

            For my SON & Shimano hubs, I built up wheels that I swap out on the
            bike I want to ride that night. I have 650c, 700c wide, 700c racing
            and 26" mtb wheels ready to go for any bike. Plug in cables and
            quick attach headlights and I'm ready in a couple of minutes. I
            mostly use the generator hubs for fair weather 'all night' road rides
            where high powered rechargeable battery lights won't last the many
            hours needed.

            A decent headlight is a must too. The Shimano LP-R600 is a horrid
            headlight. The wrap up lens causes way too much light bleed. It
            blinds you in the dark. Most Dynohub specific headlights have a
            zenor diode to cap the voltage at high speed to prevent burning out
            the lamp. All generators' output voltage goes up with speed. Even
            though they say 6 volts 3 watts, that is for a specific speed only
            like 12 mph. Planet Bike makes one, there are more expensive brands
            too. It also depends on what kind of light beam pattern you want or need.

            For Shimano hubs. There are many models over the years. The earlier
            NX series reportedly had more drag when the light was off. None of
            mine are that old. I got the Nexus DH-3D71 and DH-3N73 about 5 years
            ago? One will take an extra brake, the other not. The current
            Alfine models look to be a complete redesign and only available as a
            wheel with a unique (boutique) spoking pattern.

            I have a die hard year round commuter friend who didn't even include
            a switch on his commuter. Just hard wired the dyno hub to the
            headlight & taillight. No switch to go bad in foul weather. The tail
            light has a capacitor so it stays on for minutes after stopping. The
            headlight being on all day is extra visibility to others. I think he
            has a SON with the disc brake option. 30,000 miles on that bike and
            still going.

            Many years ago I used the Sanyo BB generator. A huge improvement
            over bottle generators. Nice unit but lousy for winter riding.

            Oh yeah, I still have a 12 volt bottle generator with florescent
            light that is quite a work out.

            Rick

            At 09:03 PM 11/28/2011, you wrote:
            >http://clevercycles.com/#Redline---Alex-XCE500-36H
            >
            >http://www.amazon.com/XCE500-Redline-Shimano-Dynamo-Silver/dp/B000QSXM10
            >
            >Anyone have one of these?
            >
            >Are you using it in the rain?
            >
            >Have you had any issues with the rim?
            >
            >--
            >-Frank White

          • Frank White
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 29, 2011
              On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 8:22 AM, Mike Wilson <mwilson@...> wrote:

              > I have the 700c version on my Motobecane Nomad snow commuter, and both hub and rim have worked just fine.
              >
              > I bought a second one for my ice commuter, not that I will be able to ride this winter.
              >
              > As a random note, the ice commuter has a nexus 8 coaster brake using a Shimano 8 >speed brifter and a travel agent, while the snow commuter has 2 rim brakes (weinmann >610 front and long-reach tektro sidepull rear) and most of an 11-34 xtr mountain cassette.

              How do you like the coaster on the nexus?

              Can you use the hell out of it without issues?

              I love coaster brakes but I always blow them up.

              --
              -Frank White
            • patoigo
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 29, 2011
                --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Frank White <survivalbicycle@...> wrote:

                > http://clevercycles.com/#Redline---Alex-XCE500-36H
                >
                > http://www.amazon.com/XCE500-Redline-Shimano-Dynamo-Silver/dp/B000QSXM10
                >
                > Anyone have one of these?
                >
                > Are you using it in the rain?
                >
                > Have you had any issues with the rim?
                >
                > --
                > -Frank White

                Late in 2010, I bought:

                1)26" Alex DM18 w/ NexusHB-NX32 from JavelinaCycles in Tempe AZ. I put this on my ~1998 Giant mcmtwo mountain bike that was converted to my first commuter. Now I generally just use it to pull a trailer. Last winter, which was brutal, I lent it to a co-worker that really didn't treat it right. The cables, chain, and front derailleur were shot, but the dynamo has never caused any trouble. (Save that said co-worker ripped apart the cable connector by being careless about wheel removal.) So far this year, 278 km for my part.
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110466485273&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

                2)700c Redline XCE500 w/ Shimano DH-3D30 from Niagara Cycle in Niagara Falls, NY. I put this on my ~2002 Burley Rumba tandem. It hasn't seen the severe duty that the Giant has, but it too has not given me any trouble. So far this year, 785 km.
                http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QT01PY/ref=oh_o05_s00_i00_details

                Paul Toigo
              • Bruce Gilmore
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 30, 2011
                  The alfine dynohub comes in 32h & 36h in both black and silver , only avialble with centrelock brake mount, but i much prefer the CL system so am currently getting rid of all my 6 bolt hubs as they wear out. The alfine dynohub is well sealed and with the middle part of the axle being 14mm should be a lot stronger than a standard XT hub axle

                  current prices of dynohubs must be at an all time low relative to other methods of bicycle lighting. Ive only had my alfine dynohub for a year, i wash bike bike only 5th ride or so and it spends the majority of the time caked in mud , i ride XC most nights in the forest so any weaknesses in the hub should appear soon with me

                  http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bike-parts/lighting/dynamos/hub-dynamos/

                  I'm running a supernova E3 triple light, the few times i've used it on the street it certainly gets drivers attention , brilliant for XC

                  --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Rick Paulos <rick-paulos@...> wrote:

                  > I have a number of dynohubs, Sturmey Archer, SON, Shimano.
                  >
                  > Never used any in the rain. IMO, riding in the dark & rain on
                  > streets/roads around here is an invite to get run over. The main
                  > issue in the rain would be water penetration. Shimano dyno hubs are
                  > pretty tight but water will get in to pretty much anything after
                  > enough exposure.
                  >
                  > For my SON & Shimano hubs, I built up wheels that I swap out on the
                  > bike I want to ride that night. I have 650c, 700c wide, 700c racing
                  > and 26" mtb wheels ready to go for any bike. Plug in cables and
                  > quick attach headlights and I'm ready in a couple of minutes. I
                  > mostly use the generator hubs for fair weather 'all night' road rides
                  > where high powered rechargeable battery lights won't last the many
                  > hours needed.
                  >
                  > A decent headlight is a must too. The Shimano LP-R600 is a horrid
                  > headlight. The wrap up lens causes way too much light bleed. It
                  > blinds you in the dark. Most Dynohub specific headlights have a
                  > zenor diode to cap the voltage at high speed to prevent burning out
                  > the lamp. All generators' output voltage goes up with speed. Even
                  > though they say 6 volts 3 watts, that is for a specific speed only
                  > like 12 mph. Planet Bike makes one, there are more expensive brands
                  > too. It also depends on what kind of light beam pattern you want or need.
                  >
                  > For Shimano hubs. There are many models over the years. The earlier
                  > NX series reportedly had more drag when the light was off. None of
                  > mine are that old. I got the Nexus DH-3D71 and DH-3N73 about 5 years
                  > ago? One will take an extra brake, the other not. The current
                  > Alfine models look to be a complete redesign and only available as a
                  > wheel with a unique (boutique) spoking pattern.
                  >
                  > I have a die hard year round commuter friend who didn't even include
                  > a switch on his commuter. Just hard wired the dyno hub to the
                  > headlight & taillight. No switch to go bad in foul weather. The tail
                  > light has a capacitor so it stays on for minutes after stopping. The
                  > headlight being on all day is extra visibility to others. I think he
                  > has a SON with the disc brake option. 30,000 miles on that bike and
                  > still going.
                  >
                  > Many years ago I used the Sanyo BB generator. A huge improvement
                  > over bottle generators. Nice unit but lousy for winter riding.
                  >
                  > Oh yeah, I still have a 12 volt bottle generator with florescent
                  > light that is quite a work out.
                  >
                  > Rick
                  >

                  > At 09:03 PM 11/28/2011, you wrote:
                  > >http://clevercycles.com/#Redline---Alex-XCE500-36H
                  > >
                  > >http://www.amazon.com/XCE500-Redline-Shimano-Dynamo-Silver/dp/B000QSXM10
                  > >
                  > >Anyone have one of these?
                  > >
                  > >Are you using it in the rain?
                  > >
                  > >Have you had any issues with the rim?
                  > >
                  > >--
                  > >-Frank White

                • Rick Paulos
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 30, 2011
                    Wow, all those models not listed at Shimano USA.

                    Thanks. Rick.

                    At 12:29 PM 11/30/2011, you wrote:

                    >http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bike-parts/lighting/dynamos/hub-dynamos/
                  • Alex Wetmore
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 30, 2011
                      Is the Alfine aluminum dynohub axle using threaded axle end caps like the modern Shimano XT rear hubs? Those have been much less reliable than the old 10mm XT axles for my friends and local bike shops. The end caps mount to the oversized axle using very fine threads and they strip under heavy loads.

                      I have a few Alfine dynohubs, but they use steel axles.

                      I've been using SON and Shimano dynohubs in rain for years in Seattle with no issues. My bus/bike commute is hell on bearing seals (since the bus holds the bike sideways and drives into the rain at 60mph) and I've never had a problem with either. In comparison Phil Wood bearings never hold up for me because they aren't sealed against that sort of intrusion.

                      alex

> [...]

                      > ago? One will take an extra brake, the other not. The current
                      > Alfine models look to be a complete redesign and only available as a
                      > wheel with a unique (boutique) spoking pattern.
                      >
                      > I have a die hard year round commuter friend who didn't even include
                      > a switch on his commuter. Just hard wired the dyno hub to the
                      > headlight & taillight. No switch to go bad in foul weather. The tail
                      > light has a capacitor so it stays on for minutes after stopping. The
                      > headlight being on all day is extra visibility to others. I think he
                      > has a SON with the disc brake option. 30,000 miles on that bike and
                      > still going.
                      >
                      > Many years ago I used the Sanyo BB generator. A huge improvement
                      > over bottle generators. Nice unit but lousy for winter riding.
                      >
                      > Oh yeah, I still have a 12 volt bottle generator with florescent

                    • Bruce Gilmore
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
                        My mistake , its an 11mm axle , and its not like the M770 rear hubs , its just a QR axle, albeit slightly larger

                        http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/DH/EV-DH-S501-2857A_v1_m56577569830728378.pdf

                        Also came across this dynamo hub, described as being for childrens bike, probably optimised for smaller diameter wheels although thats just a guess, and if its specifically for children there is probably a rider weight limit

                        http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/HB/EV-HB-C050-C051-D-2163A_v1_m56577569830608966.pdf

                        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Alex Wetmore <alex@...> wrote:

                        > Is the Alfine aluminum dynohub axle using threaded axle end caps like the modern Shimano XT rear hubs? Those have been much less reliable than the old 10mm XT axles for my friends and local bike shops. The end caps mount to the oversized axle using very fine threads and they strip under heavy loads.
                      • Paulos, Richard G
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
                          I see ten vs twelve bearings.
                          Typical for kids bikes to have fewer bearings.
                          Ive seen as few as five in boxmart bikes!

                          Rick