T bar shifter

  • Paulos, Richard G
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 11, 2011
      I still have one of those shifters I salvaged off a bike about 1982 or so. There is a dual cam inside attached to a ratchet for the t-bar lever. It does double shifts as needed so you work thru the 10 gears in ratio order. Assuming you have the original freewheel & chain ring tooth counts. Back then most bikes were 14t to 28t freewheels with 42t & 52T rings. 1 swing of the lever gets you 1 shift, then the ratchet resets. Similar to more modern STI levers. It used a positron rear der with the solid wire cable. The shifter mounts on the stem which was popular in the 70s on low to mid range bikes.

      Not an IGH but it was a pretty cool item anyhow that tried to address shifting in order like IGHs. T-bar shifters were a hot item in muscle cars then too. You did see T-bar shifters on a number of IGH bikes like the Raleigh Choppers.

      Rick

      From: John Baldwin <johnbaldwin207@...>
      To: Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, November 10, 2011, 5:04 PM

      Freaky! Neat find.

      On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Rick Paulos <rick-paulos@...> wrote:

      Okay, I'll admit I didn't know Shimano ever made a 2 speed hub but
      here are some for sale on ebay:

      www.ebay.com/itm/330554064420<http://www.ebay.com/itm/330554064420>

      How popular could they have been?

      Rick
    • jim
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 11, 2011
        That's alot going on in one relatively compact shifter.  I bet that adjustment and durability were also issues.  If I were collecting I think I'd have to buy it just to tinker with it.

        --
        Colin Bryant
        Vancouver, Canada

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 11, 2011
          Hardy compact. Nearly the size of a softball. Weighs in at 1 pound 11 ounzes. Durable, sure. 1/8" thick steel body. Has an adjuster for the front der cable. The plastic body & T knob look to be the most fragile parts. Molded plastic, not ABS. Only markings are Japan DF and the AMF sticker on the sides.

          I just made a quick vid for you all to see.
          http://youtu.be/39J4SwhuDZE

          I think something similar could be designed for a SRAM/Sachs 3x7 setup.

          rick

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 11, 2011
            > You did see T-bar shifters on a number of IGH
            > bikes like the Raleigh Choppers.

            Sturmey still offers a 'stick shift' for their three-speeds.

            <http://www.chopperdome-gent.fickser.nl/db/EXACT4e36747635661/95141_Stick_shifter_CLS_3M.jpg>
          • jim
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 11, 2011
              Great video, interesting to see it in action and what you mean about  size and durability -- like so much stuff from that time it looks pretty stout and is in my book a real collector's item bit of Americana.

              27 ounces compared to the 7.75 oz. a heavy Schwinn "Big Stick" pair of headstem mounted friction shifters that were standard on the Chicago built 1970's Super Sport 10 speeds is a pretty steep weight tariff which probably didn't help it catch on with real cycling enthusiasts.  I have a pair of Shimano Positron friction shifters that are mostly plastic and weigh 3.5.

              I searched it up and found a student bike for sale in Wisconsin craigslist with it (for $250), and this Popular Science review from 1979:

              also an advert featuring future Kardashian kulprit Bruce Jenner hawking it to Boy Scouts as "the first real 10 speed innovation in years":

              Thanks for the great explainer and satisfying our curiosity about this cool device!!!

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 12, 2011
                Cool.    It sounds very much like a typical motorcycle gear shifting system.  I suppose that the fact that they are dependent on having known sprocket sizes is why we haven't seen more of them on bicycles.  Given the number of people I see on the road and know, that don't have a clue how to shift a derailer bike, they might be very useful.

                BTW; I believe this even though this list is called "Geared hub bikes", it's mandate is talk about any non-conventional bicycle drivetrain.  I love to hear about belts, drive shafts and geared BB's too.

                --
                Colin Bryant
                Vancouver, Canada