Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Shimano BR-IM50-R rear roller brake vs Sturmey X-FD.

  • Jim Avery
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2011
      > Anyone have any advice of accelerating break-in?
      >
      > This wheel was supposed to be ready for a bike camping trip coming up in month.

      Errm .. I didn't know the SA drum brakes needed a break-in! I just
      use mine. I suppose maybe they don't brake so well in the first few
      weeks, but I'm not one for fierce braking anyway.

      Having said that, my rear brake is a 90mm one, so if I'm going down a
      long hill (sometimes towing the trailer too), then that one takes most
      of the braking load.

      I've just fitted a brand new X-FDD on the front and didn't notice any
      difference over the X-FD which it replaced. Maybe having 26" wheels
      helps as well.