Shimano BR-IM50-R rear roller brake vs Sturmey X-FD.

  • Frank White
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2011
      And the winner is ...........

      *****The Shimano Roller Brake with a Total Knock Out in the fourth month!******

      When I replaced my ancient (but still working) BR-IM41 roller brake
      with a used IM50 and put a new X-FD on the front five months ago I was
      expecting a long epic battle of the hub brakes that would take decades
      to decide.

      What I got was more like one of those Mike Tyson fights that was over
      before people even sat down, with the Sturmey completely busted before
      the Shimano had even hit its first 6 month overhaul.

      The Sturmey was weak from the start, but that was expected with the
      break-in period. About two months in something changed in the hub and
      I had to take in a lot of slack from the brake cable. The braking
      became irregular and the hub would drag slightly even with the brake
      cable disconnected. I suspect that this was when the end cap came
      loose, which you can see here:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/60126298@N08/6316065527/in/set-72157628061705610/

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/60126298@N08/6316583270/in/set-72157628061705610/

      One month ago, while riding in a heavy rain, the hub completely quit
      and went squishy. When I got home and pened it up I found the broken
      arm and the loose end cap, as well as standing water inside the hub.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/60126298@N08/6316061803/in/set-72157628061705610

      At that point I cleaned the whole hub out with rubbing alcohol and
      sealed it back up with the locknuts as tight as possible without
      stripping the threads. I put it back on the bike without the brake
      attached and rode it while I waited to get in touch with Sturmey.

      A month later Sturmey sent me a new hub. When I changed the brake
      plate I found plenty of water inside the hub again:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/60126298@N08/6313002139/in/set-72157628061705610

      The hub now works, but of course I am back to day one of break-in.

      Anyone have any advice of accelerating break-in?

      This wheel was supposed to be ready for a bike camping trip coming up in month.

      --
      -Frank White
    • Jim Avery
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2011
        > Anyone have any advice of accelerating break-in?
        >
        > This wheel was supposed to be ready for a bike camping trip coming up in month.

        Errm .. I didn't know the SA drum brakes needed a break-in! I just
        use mine. I suppose maybe they don't brake so well in the first few
        weeks, but I'm not one for fierce braking anyway.

        Having said that, my rear brake is a 90mm one, so if I'm going down a
        long hill (sometimes towing the trailer too), then that one takes most
        of the braking load.

        I've just fitted a brand new X-FDD on the front and didn't notice any
        difference over the X-FD which it replaced. Maybe having 26" wheels
        helps as well.