VAR Tire Tool

  • Rich W
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2011
      Per an email I received from North Road Bicycle Imports a new and stronger version of the VAR tire jack tool is going to be available shortly. North Road will be carrying the new version.

      From my experience the older VAR tool was one of the best for installing hard to get on tires like Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. USA sources for the original tool have been scarce for some time and it has now apparently been discontinued.

      If interested then contact North Road for scheduled availability and price, currently not yet known apparently.

      Rich Wood
    • Gary Young
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2011
        On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 7:50 PM, Rich W <astronut1001@...> wrote:

        Per an email I received from North Road Bicycle Imports a new and stronger version of the VAR tire jack tool is going to be available shortly. North Road will be carrying the new version.

        There's a picture of it on p. 48 of their catalog:

        It looks a lot like the old tool, but maybe it's made from a stronger plastic.

        From my experience the older VAR tool was one of the best for installing hard to get on tires like Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. USA sources for the original tool have been scarce for some time and it has now apparently been discontinued.

        If interested then contact North Road for scheduled availability and price, currently not yet known apparently.

        Rich Wood

      • aarons_bicycle_repair
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 5, 2011
          The Kool-Stop Tire Jack is much easier to use and does not break like the VAR. The VAR also has sharp edges and can pinch the tube or cut your fingers! The KSTJ is larger but I think it is worth the trouble to carry. We use it in the shop. I have had the same one for 10 years and it shows much less wear than even the Park TL-10, which slides and works like the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. Both the Park and Crank Bros. slide along the rim and do not last long.