Broken Sturmey Archer X-FD Pics

  • Frank White
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 4, 2011
    • aarons_bicycle_repair
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 5, 2011
        FYI, McMaster Carr has replacement push nuts.
        http://www.mcmaster.com/#push-nuts/=esz450
        They often break when you remove them.

        Frank,
        Could you post a clearer picture of the failure?

        It appears that the leading brake shoe base failed (cracked)at the fixed pivot.
        This probably allowed the pad to move toward the center of the hub when you used the brake. This would explain the lack of power. A temporary fix (on the road)would be to switch the leading and trailing pads so that the leading one is the good one. The trailing pad has much less effect on braking.

        Aaron Goss

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Frank White <survivalbicycle@...> wrote:

        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/60126298@N08/sets/72157627929348021/
        >
        > --
        > -Frank White

      • Frank White
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 5, 2011
          I put some better photos up. Do
          you have any ideas on an anti-rust agent that could be used inside the
          hub without affecting the braking surface? The rust spots inside the
          hub after less than 6 months don't bode well for winter portland
          riding.

          --
          Sent from my mobile device

          -Frank White
        • Shaun Miller
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 6, 2011
            Dont want to bash Sturmey but on Thursday the X-FD outer casing
            retaining the torsion arm and brake assembly just cracked.
            Where you see the wave line run from one side to the other it cracked
            along that line and the pivot leading to the actuating lever errupted
            through the said plate the whole assembly dropped, the arm came out of
            the fork brace capture, span round and jammed luckily I was cycling a
            low speed and bashed my arm against a parked car for those of you that
            are concerned the car is OK.
            This will be going back to Sturmey's distributor for analysis/comment.

            Shaun
          • Frank White
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 6, 2011
              On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 1:21 AM, Shaun Miller <shedborn@...> wrote:

              > Dont want to bash Sturmey but on Thursday the X-FD outer casing
              > retaining the torsion arm and brake assembly just cracked.
              > Where you see the wave line run from one side to the other it cracked
              > along that line and the pivot leading to the actuating lever errupted
              > through the said plate the whole assembly dropped, the arm came out of
              > the fork brace capture, span round and jammed luckily I was cycling a
              > low speed and bashed my arm against a parked car for those of you that
              > are concerned the car is OK.
              > This will be going back to Sturmey's distributor for analysis/comment.

              The torsion arm seems to be coming loose on the brake plate that I replaced:

              http://www.flickr.com/photos/60126298@N08/6316062323/in/set-72157628061705610/

              I spoke to three bike shops selling Sturmey products here in portland.
              Two that were selling the Linux bikes have now completely dropped the
              Sturmey 5 speed models in favour of the Nexus models due to endless
              problems with the 5 speed hubs. One shop that sells lots of
              aftermarket hubs has had so many problems with the S3X hubs and S2C
              hubs that they are about ready to stop selling Sturmey as well.

              --
              -Frank White
            • aarons_bicycle_repair
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011
                Frank,

                First off, please get a better camera and take in-focus pictures, PLEASE!
                Second, one problem does not mean a specific product is defective or that you should bash it.
                From the blurry pics, of what I can see, your hub looks normal. The gap on the black fixing arm to the brake pad holder, looks normal. All the SA drum brakes we have on bikes here at the shop show a similar gap. If the arm came disconnected from your fork that is another problem. If it spun around, it probably caused the brake shoe holder to crack! There are so many forks on the market that SA could not possibly include a bracket for all the posibilities. We stock 2 different clamps here and often have to make custom bent bolts to fit larger forks. The stock clamp fits a normal road fork. The stock bolt needs loc-tite or a ny-lock nut. It should also always be pressed down on the arm as it it tightened. It is rare that the arm would ever pull out and usually would be caused by something else being wrong like the axle nut being under-torqued or loose or the wheel installed crooked. We have sold hundreds of these hubs and have not had any of the problems you have had. Sturmey Archer drum hubs are great and can be a life-time hub and brake. My personal bike is going on 3 years and the pads are good as new. Can you say that about a rim brake? Perfect for commuting.

                Cheers, Aaron

              • jbabic@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
                  Those pictures are interesting - they got me thinking...

                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/60126298@N08/6316063645

                  Not saying it's a good idea, but to my untrained eye the actuator cam (that forces the pads outward) seems to be rather big.  What if it were shaved down some - wouldn't that 'improve' leverage at the expense of travel?  Does this model use all that travel?

                • Jim Avery
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
                    On 9 November 2011 22:01, jbabic@... <jbabic@...> wrote:

                    > Not saying it's a good idea, but to my untrained eye the actuator cam (that forces the pads outward) seems to be rather big.  What if it were shaved down some - wouldn't that 'improve' leverage at the expense of travel?  Does this model use all that travel?

                    In my (albeit fairly limited) experience, yes the X-FD does need a
                    fair bit of travel in the brake lever. I recently replaced my MTB
                    style brake levers with Dia-Compe guidonnet levers and found I need to
                    set them up quite close to the bite point to make sure the lever can't
                    hit the handlebar when squeezed tightly.

                    In defence of the X-FD, I've been using one all year round in all
                    weathers without any problem. I've just replaced it with the dynamo
                    version, the X-FDD which seems pretty good too.
                  • Frank White
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 12, 2011
                      On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 4:03 PM, aarons_bicycle_repair
                      <aaron@...> wrote

                      > Frank,
                      >
                      > First off, please get a better camera and take in-focus pictures, PLEASE!
                      > Second, one problem does not mean a specific product is defective or that you should >bash it.

                      It isn't just one problem.

                      Aside from the defective part, the hub gets water inside of it during
                      heavy rain, and then the brake doesn't work.

                      Had I any idea this would happen I would have bought a set of v-brakes instead.

                      > From the blurry pics, of what I can see, your hub looks normal. The gap on the black >fixing arm to the brake pad holder, looks normal.

                      Compared to the gap on the new one, it isn't. Maybe this is just a
                      manufacturing variance, but with the issues so far from defects, that
                      isn't encouraging.

                      >All the SA drum brakes we have on bikes here at the shop show a similar gap. If the >arm came disconnected from your fork that is another problem. If it spun around, it >probably caused the brake shoe holder to crack!

                      Blame the end user!

                      The arm never came loose. It is held on with two pipe clamps. (It is
                      showing rust already.)

                      --
                      -Frank White
                    • Frank White
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 1, 2011
                        Shaun,

                        #1-Did you contact Sunrace about this? What kind of a response did you get?

                        #2-How old was the hub when it failed?

                        #3-What kind of brake lever and cable/cable housing were you using?

                        #4-What distributor did you get the hub from?

                        #5-Was the hub doing anything strange before the failure?

                        Thanks,