Shimano 3-spd freewheel (non-disc) reaches NA aftermarket

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2011
      I see the Shimano SG-3R40 freewheel hub - easily the #1 OEM spec'd 3-speed in N.A. over the last decade or so - has finally reached the N.A. aftermarket and is now showing up on several retailers' web sites. This is the high flange, steel shell model that will accept but does not require the Shimano roller brake.

      The SG-3R40 is not shown on the Shimano N.A. web site, but is shown on the company's web sites for other markets.

      By the time one also buys the non-included shifter (only a twist shifter is offered for this hub) and small parts, it looks to cost significantly more than a high polish aluminum shell Sturmey S-RF3, a hub that has 8 different factory shifters and multiple OLDs.

      The SG-3R40 of course uses Shimano's bell crank/click box shift interface which sticks off the right side of the axle, rather than the inside-the-dropouts shift interface of the SRAM iMotion3 and Sturmey RS-RF3.

      The SG-3R40 is a fine little hub and I'm pleased Shimano has at long last decided to offer it in the N.A. aftermarket - but it's hard to recommend as an aftermarket purchase vs. the competition.