RE: [Geared_hub_bikes] Alfine 8spd to 130mm

  • Alex Wetmore
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 12, 2011
      Are you using the a disk brake with the Alfine hub?

      If not I believe you can remove the left lock nut and replace it with a thinner one. I've done this conversion on 8sp Nexus hubs (to bring them down to 126mm spacing from the stock 132mm spacing) and can't see why it would be different on the Alfine 8sp.

      alex

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 12, 2011
        Bending aluminum isn't like bending steel.

        You get to bend aluminium ONCE. Try to bend it back and it
        snaps. Even the first bend can cause cracks you can't see.

        Respacing the rear end of a bike frame is a multi step process. I've
        done a dozen or so steel frames and only steel. It's not an option
        with carbon, and I wouldn't try it on titanium. Never needed to do an
        aluminum frame.

        Bend each stay out half of 5mm. There are different methods for that
        depending the particular bike and which direction you are going, in
        or out or left or right. There is 'spring' in all bike frames
        especially when the wheels are removed so you have to bend farther
        than 2.5 mm, more like an inch or two and let it spring back and see
        where you are. I have a park long handled frame tool and i've used
        2x4s and even steel building posts (immovable object) as an anchor
        point. You want controlled leverage, just having the chubby new guy
        jump on the frame isn't control. You can use "the string method" to
        monitor so your bends are equal.
        Next bend each dropout inward a slight amount to keep them parallel
        to each other. You want the dropouts parallel so you aren't adding a
        bending force to the axle, especially with an IGH, hollow axle hub or
        old freewheel type hubs. An axle that is trying to keep the frame
        straight will break much sooner. I have a set of Park dropout
        alignment guages/tools for that. On a AL frame, that bend is
        concentrated right where the dropouts are welded to the ends of the
        stays. Worst you can do is break that frame and then go shopping for
        one with the desired spacing.

        re-dishing is done to keep the rim centered in the wheel. You might
        need that done to compensate for adding or removing spacers on the
        hub to get it to fit a particular frame. Wheels that aren't dished to
        center will track funny when you try to center the rim between the chainstays.

        I don't know if the Alfine has lock washers between the lock nuts and
        cones, but removing those washers could gain you 2 or 3 mm.

        a stepped axle, ie, one that gets thicker. on IGHs, thats usually
        right where the axle fits in the dropout. The old shimano 3.3.3 hubs
        were like that to accommodate the antirotational washer. You can flat
        file out the dropout slot easy enough as needed. Do an equal amount
        top & bottom to keep the wheel aligned correctly.

        I seen plenty of bikes where the wheel spacing doesn't match the
        frame spacing. It's just a bit harder to change out the
        wheels. Trying to wrestle a wider wheel in to a
        narrower frame is more difficult. 5mm isn't that much to wrestle with.

        rick