Re: Needle bearings in SG-8R25 and SG-8R36 hubs

  • Rich W
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2011
      The folder mentioned is in the Photos area. The photos of the planet gear bearings appear to be the same as the ones published in the PDF I linked to on the Shimano web site in my post earlier today.

      Rich Wood

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2011
        > The planetary gears in Shimano's SG-8R20 and
        > SG-8R31 hubs ride on pins. In the Nexus premium
        > or "red band" hubs (SG-8R25 and SG-8R36) the
        > planetary gears ride on needle bearings. Shimano
        > claims the needle bearings increase the efficiency
        > of the hub by 3-6 percent depending on the selected
        > gear.

        If that would hold true for all hub gears, then adding roller bearings to the Sachs hub in the Kyle/Berto test would have had it operating at or above 100% efficiency.

        Yeah. I know.
      • gordonKoppang
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 9, 2011
          Yup, I converted the .pdf to .jpg and jacked up the size to try and improve the image quality.

          GK