Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Threaded Drivers

  • sam lingo
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2011
      standard track cogs fit

      From: dallas098 <dallas098@...>
      To: Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 10:06 PM
      Subject: [Geared_hub_bikes] Threaded Drivers

      Today I received two hubs that both need threaded drivers - a Hercules A Type 9 (year unknown) and a Sturmey AW (48 11). Both cogs have 18t. What is a good source for threaded drivers for hubs such as this? The teeth on the Sturmey are pretty worn. Additionally, I'd like to go to a more teeth on both hubs if I can.

    • D B
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2011
        Ah, I'd have never thought about that. But aren't the largest track cogs only around 20t? If so, that leaves me with a dilemma because I'll need to either get very strong, install smaller chainrings (so much for the cool Hercules ring), or start pushing my bikes up the hill. ;)

        Dallas

        Sent from my iPhone

        standard track cogs fit

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2011
          Phil, EAI and Surly all offer track cogs to 22T - that's as big as genuine Sturmey three-spline cogs.

          Additionally, the HSA123 three-spline driver is a drop-in upgrade.

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2011
            Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Threaded Drivers
             Today I received two hubs that both need threaded drivers - a Hercules A Type 9 (year unknown) and a Sturmey AW (48 11). Both cogs have 18t. What is a good source for threaded drivers for hubs such as this? The teeth on the Sturmey are pretty worn. Additionally, I'd like to go to a more teeth on both hubs if I can.

            Dallas,
            I have one NOS threaded driver and some used ones in VGC.  $30 for the NOS and $18 for the used ones.

            Replacing with the 3 prong HSA 123 may make more sense though,
            I have 2 NOS ones.  One with the 7 ball bearing retainer and outer dust cap for $25 and one bare driver for $20

            I also have large cogs here.
            --

            Mark Stonich;
              BikeSmith Design & Fabrication