Threaded Drivers

  • dallas098
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 5, 2011
      Today I received two hubs that both need threaded drivers - a Hercules A Type 9 (year unknown) and a Sturmey AW (48 11). Both cogs have 18t. What is a good source for threaded drivers for hubs such as this? The teeth on the Sturmey are pretty worn. Additionally, I'd like to go to a more teeth on both hubs if I can.
    • sam lingo
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2011
        standard track cogs fit

        Today I received two hubs that both need threaded drivers - a Hercules A Type 9 (year unknown) and a Sturmey AW (48 11). Both cogs have 18t. What is a good source for threaded drivers for hubs such as this? The teeth on the Sturmey are pretty worn. Additionally, I'd like to go to a more teeth on both hubs if I can.

      • D B
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2011
          Ah, I'd have never thought about that. But aren't the largest track cogs only around 20t? If so, that leaves me with a dilemma because I'll need to either get very strong, install smaller chainrings (so much for the cool Hercules ring), or start pushing my bikes up the hill. ;)

          Dallas

          Sent from my iPhone

          standard track cogs fit

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2011
            Phil, EAI and Surly all offer track cogs to 22T - that's as big as genuine Sturmey three-spline cogs.

            Additionally, the HSA123 three-spline driver is a drop-in upgrade.

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 6, 2011
              Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Threaded Drivers
               Today I received two hubs that both need threaded drivers - a Hercules A Type 9 (year unknown) and a Sturmey AW (48 11). Both cogs have 18t. What is a good source for threaded drivers for hubs such as this? The teeth on the Sturmey are pretty worn. Additionally, I'd like to go to a more teeth on both hubs if I can.

              Dallas,
              I have one NOS threaded driver and some used ones in VGC.  $30 for the NOS and $18 for the used ones.

              Replacing with the 3 prong HSA 123 may make more sense though,
              I have 2 NOS ones.  One with the 7 ball bearing retainer and outer dust cap for $25 and one bare driver for $20

              I also have large cogs here.
              --

              Mark Stonich;
                BikeSmith Design & Fabrication