Rohloff oil-weep question

  • David Chase
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2011
      Thought I would ask here first before pestering the LBS that I didn't buy my hub from (got it from Starbike instead).

      I have external shift linkage, OEM2 plate, disk brake, and I noticed (after two months of use, i.e,, 400 miles) that it is oil-ish on the shifter side. Not on the brake, no drip yet, but enough over time that there's a drop or three accumulated in the unused holes of the OEM2 mount. Bike is almost always bolt upright (cargo bike with a center stand).

      Not to worry? Or should I use the oil change kit to see how much (roughly) is still sloshing around in there?

      I've seen drip from a converted Alfine hub, and this is nothing like that.

      David
    • Thorsten Ostrander
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2011
        Hi David,

        This was a new hub a few months ago?  I have an older Rohloff with about 8K on it.  I'm trying(with foggy results) to recall if I noted any drip early on and lean towards  a no.

        My hub was leaking a bit on the NDS as well and inside the axle.  I recently sent it to Cyclemonkey for a seal evaluation and replacement.  The hub hasn't been used since it is going into a new bike soon.  Perhaps a chat with Cyclemonkey would be helpful.  I wouldn't drain and refill the hub at this point.  I guess you could remove the OEM2 axle plate  for a look and complete cleaning to see if and how long it takes to return.

        Hope this helps,
        Thorsten

        On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 6:53 AM, David Chase <dr2chase@...> wrote:

        Thought I would ask here first before pestering the LBS that I didn't buy my hub from (got it from Starbike instead).

        I have external shift linkage, OEM2 plate, disk brake, and I noticed (after two months of use, i.e,, 400 miles) that it is oil-ish on the shifter side. Not on the brake, no drip yet, but enough over time that there's a drop or three accumulated in the unused holes of the OEM2 mount. Bike is almost always bolt upright (cargo bike with a center stand).

        Not to worry? Or should I use the oil change kit to see how much (roughly) is still sloshing around in there?

        I've seen drip from a converted Alfine hub, and this is nothing like that.

        David

      • Joel Mayes
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2011
          On 08/09/11 22:53, David Chase wrote:
          > Thought I would ask here first before pestering the LBS that I didn't buy my hub from (got it from Starbike instead).
          >
          > I have external shift linkage, OEM2 plate, disk brake, and I noticed (after two months of use, i.e,, 400 miles) that it is oil-ish on the shifter side. Not on the brake, no drip yet, but enough over time that there's a drop or three accumulated in the unused holes of the OEM2 mount. Bike is almost always bolt upright (cargo bike with a center stand).
          >
          > Not to worry? Or should I use the oil change kit to see how much (roughly) is still sloshing around in there?
          >
          > I've seen drip from a converted Alfine hub, and this is nothing like that.
          >
          > David

          HI David;

          All labyrinth seals weep by design, if they didn't weep they would wear
          out very quickly, or worse allow the passage of fluid in the wrong
          direction.

          Have a read of <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinth_seal>

          The perceived lack weeping in the Alfine is probably due to there being
          less stuff on the outside of the hub for the oil to smear around
          potentially making a small amount of oil look like a large amount of
          oil. Or the seals on the Alfine not being desgned for oil could be
          leaking in the wrong direction.

          What I've seen with (other peoples!) uncared for Rohloff hubs the first
          sign of problems with the oil level or quality is a noticeable
          degradation of shifting performance. In your situation I'd be relaxed
          unless I'd noticed a change in the shifting.

          That said if your LBS is a worth spending money at they should not have
          a problem servicing a bike they didn't sell, and the only real way to
          diagnose something like this is with the bike in front of you.

          Cheers

          Joel

          Cheers

          Joel