Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: Is my i-motion 3 hub causing a rattle?

  • Jay Goldstein
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 5 8:36 PM
      Just curious: is there any way to tell where the hub was made? If your suspicion is correct, Cannondale may have a bunch of defective hubs in their parts depot. Someone in the Hooligan Facebook group reported that the 2012 Hooligan 3 has a Shimano hub. Is the change to Shimano hub a vote of non-confidence in the iM3?

      I'm beginning to think that the best way to proceed is to live with the rattling 2nd gear until winter sets in and then see if I can switch to another make of IGH. E.g., Mountain Equipment Co-Op now sells the 32 hole Alfine 8 speed disc brake hub ($290 CAD) and Alfine shifter ($46 CAD). If the Alfine hub will fit the Hooligan's frame, it would give me a wider gear range  at the cost of increased weight.

      I welcome opinions about going that route.

      Jay

      On 05/09/2011 9:10 PM, Rich W wrote:

      I suspect that it is possible, particularly if these are iM3 hubs made in China or the last of the German production. SRAM IGH production has been moved to China after over 100 years of German manufacture and any new manufacturing facility for a product can have initial start-up production problems. I know that for a fact based on many years of personal experience as a Quality Assurance engineer for a silicon valley manufacturer. I would also worry about the last German production due to unhappy employees and possible attempts to use up the last parts in stock, even if of questionable quality.

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 6 2:47 AM
        > I suspect that it is possible, particularly if these are
        > iM3 hubs made in China or the last of the German
        > production. SRAM IGH production has been moved
        > to China...

        Don't mean to get into the whole Chiang Kai-Shek/Mao Zedong thing, but SRAM's Asian IGH factory is in Dali, Taiwan.
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 6 2:55 AM
          > Someone in the Hooligan Facebook group
          > reported that the 2012 Hooligan 3 has a
          > Shimano hub. Is the change to Shimano hub a
          > vote of non-confidence in the iM3?

          That's certainly a possibility, but more likely Shimano offered to beat SRAM's price by $0.10.

          On the subject of "where was it made?", the aftermarket retail price for the Shimano SG-3D55 hub dropped by 25~30% in the last year, and I wondered if Shimano has shifted production of this hub from Japan to their Singapore facility?
        • Rich W
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 6 5:18 PM
            Thanks for the information. Still true that moving manufacturing to a new plant and workers is likely to show up problems until the new plant and personnel are up to speed. It is also good at revealing any lack in engineering drawings or manufacturing procedures documentation.

            Rich Wood