Re: Final Build - '83 Marinoni with Alfine

  • Michael Reid
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 17, 2011
    Greg,
    I was in Calgary from '06-07 and again in '09-'10.  I totally lucked out on the CL find.  It was one of those ads with no pic - "steel frame" was the title of the ad.  I picked it up the same day it was listed, knowing that it would not last.

    I'm in salt Lake City now, and the ride I did this morning is a quaint 50km out and back to the summit of "Emigration Canyon".  It is a category 2 climb - long and steady - with a touch over 500m net gain from my house.  It is the first part of a longer series of rides, which includes the next pass "Big Mountain", another class 2 climb, and another 400m of climbing over less than 10km.  I did that one last weekend on the 3 speed.  It was rough, but doable.  I've attached a pic of the bike atop big Mountain Pass. The switchbacks were challenging with the 47 inch low gear.

    As for the cable routing, I am running the bare cable from the DT stop, under the BB guide, and through the sleeved arm/cable stop on the hub armature.  Works like a charm, as the angle of the armature allows for a nearly linear routing from the BB, effectively yielding the armature as nothing more than a cable guide.  Since there is so much less housing creating friction, I find the shifting to be faster and crisper than on my other Alfine-equipped bike.  I've added a close up of the rear end for detail.

    Cheers,
    Michael

  • dallas098
    Message 2 of 3 , Jul 17, 2011
      On my Peugeot, I have much of the shift cable exposed on my Sturmey 8 and it shifts like a charm. It cleans up the lines of the bike by not having an extra cable running along the top tube or the down tube.

      BTW, what gives with that picture of your bike in the mountains? If you keep posting pictures like that, you are going to make at least some of the folks on the forum jealous starting with me! Beautiful bike *and* a gorgeous setting. <sigh>

      Dallas

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, Michael Reid <canyoneagle@...> wrote:

      > Greg,
      > I was in Calgary from '06-07 and again in '09-'10. I totally lucked out on
      > the CL find. It was one of those ads with no pic - "steel frame" was the
      > title of the ad. I picked it up the same day it was listed, knowing that it
      > would not last.
      >
      > I'm in salt Lake City now, and the ride I did this morning is a quaint 50km
      > out and back to the summit of "Emigration Canyon". It is a category 2 climb
      > - long and steady - with a touch over 500m net gain from my house. It is
      > the first part of a longer series of rides, which includes the next pass "Big
      > Mountain <http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/39775206>", another class 2
      > climb, and another 400m of climbing over less than 10km. I did that one
      > last weekend on the 3 speed. It was rough, but doable. I've attached a pic
      > of the bike atop big Mountain Pass. The switchbacks were challenging with
      > the 47 inch low gear.
      >
      > As for the cable routing, I am running the bare cable from the DT stop,
      > under the BB guide, and through the sleeved arm/cable stop on the hub
      > armature. Works like a charm, as the angle of the armature allows for a
      > nearly linear routing from the BB, effectively yielding the armature as
      > nothing more than a cable guide. Since there is so much less housing
      > creating friction, I find the shifting to be faster and crisper than on my
      > other Alfine-equipped bike. I've added a close up of the rear end for
      > detail.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Michael
    • michaelr