Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: Hi from a new member.

  • Jim Avery
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 6, 2011
      On 6 July 2011 14:37, Bobbie Martin <mini1275@...> wrote:
      > I currently have several Moultons

      I have a "Moulton Bicycles 1960-2000" mug which I drink my coffee from
      every day at work (and another at home which holds the pens on my
      desk), and a Moulton Bicycle Club APB T21 coaster on which I'm about
      to put my glass of wine. :-)

      I hope I didn't sound too harsh about Moulton bicycles. I just found
      that mine wasn't suitable for what I needed - a low maintenance hack
      for cycling to work and back in all weathers. At the time (and still)
      I couldn't afford the luxury of keeping the Moulton and buying a
      commuter bike so I sold the one to get most of the money I needed to
      buy the other. The bicycle I replaced the Moulton with has drum
      brakes, no derailleur and wide enough clearance to take Schwalbe
      Marathon Winter (studded) tyres under full mudguards.
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 6, 2011
        > Super - thanks. It's good to see so many options outside Japan.
        > Hopefully by the time I have the funds to buy one there'll be
        > something with a hub gear option.

        The only mini velos ~that I'm aware of~ in the N.A. market with IGHs are the Cannondale Hooligan 3 (the official factory specification web page doesn't say, but the bike uses a SRAM iMotion3 Disc hub) and the Dahon Bullhead (which is equipped with a Shimano Nexus 7 hub).

        pj
      • Bruce Gilmore
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Burkhart" <boomer5319@...> wrote:

          > --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, D B <dallas098@> wrote:
          > >

          > > I am really enjoying the X-RD8(W) a lot. It seems to be more free spinning than any bike in my collection other than my Burley tandem which has White Industries hubs. I'm still getting used to the different mechanical sounds that the X-RD8(W) makes compared to my derailleur bikes, but there isn't anything about the hub that indicates to me that the quality is suspect. I *really* love the drum brakes, not only for cleaning up the lines of the bike by eliminating the calipers, but also for the smoothness, braking power and ease of maintenance.
          > >
          > > For other opinions pj and Dan have considerably more miles on their hubs and can give considerably more input than me on the topic. Their input is usually very useful and appreciated by group members.
          > >
          > > Dallas
          > >
          > > Sent from my iPhone
          > >
          > I'm sure it's not my imagination that my Sturmey Archer 8 speed wide range is the most free running hub I have. it just seems to have less internal frictional loss than other hubs, including the Sram iMotion 9 speed it replaced.
          > Just for reference I'm currently running (in addition to the 8 speed,) A Sturmey Archer XRF5, Sturmey Archer S3X, Sturmey Archer S2C, Shimano Nexus 8, and 2 Rohloffs.

          I have an alfine8 on my 20" wheeled bike and a sachs S7 on my 26" wheeled bike, my feeling riding the bike is that the S7 is more efficient, and less springy. The springy feeling i get is probably explained by the fact the roller clutch design of the alfine takes some movement for it to grip and provide drive, where as the S7 has ratchets and is more direct. As for the efficiency, since the 20" wheels need to turn a lot more, that might be the reason for the difference in feel. I'm at one with shifting on the alfine, its used in the city with a lot of start/stop riding from red lights, so the slick shifting is ideal for getting up the gears as i stand up and mash the pedals, with only slight let up in torque required for the gears to change. In contrast for some gear changes the S7 rerquires to actually become stationary with the pedals for a fraction of a second for the change to happen, done over 120miles with the hub now so getting the hang of it.
        • Bruce Gilmore
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 8, 2011
            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pj" <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

            > > Super - thanks. It's good to see so many options outside Japan.
            > > Hopefully by the time I have the funds to buy one there'll be
            > > something with a hub gear option.
            >
            > The only mini velos ~that I'm aware of~ in the N.A. market with IGHs are the Cannondale Hooligan 3 (the official factory specification web page doesn't say, but the bike uses a SRAM iMotion3 Disc hub) and the Dahon Bullhead (which is equipped with a Shimano Nexus 7 hub).
            >
            > pj

            The cannondale hooligan 1 from 2008 had an alfine8 disc hub, the hooligan 3 has the iM3. The hooligan frame comes in 2 designs, one with eccentric bottom bracket(EBB) and one with a normal BB which come fitted with derailer gears

            http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=146088275355

            i'm part of the group and there seems to be a lot of guys upgrading the drive trains, hubs fitted so far include iM9, N360, Rohloff, Schlumpff HS. so far i have stuck with the alfine8 but changed out the MTB type crankset for a road HT2 type and a 56t DH chainring