Tour de France

  • Rich W
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1 8:11 PM
      I KNOW this is off subject for the group but I enjoy watching!

      For those who enjoy watching bicycle racing, a reminder that the Tour de France starts tomorrow morning. It is being broadcast on Versus channel. Also my birthday, #67!

      I note that the first stage is NOT a prologue time trial this year but a 190+ Km regular stage per the listing on my cable provider. This is very unusual. Predictions are that this may be the toughest TDF in many years.

      Rich Wood
    • Trina Brady
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2 7:28 AM
        I missed out!!  I thought today would be the normal TT and just now tuned in.  :(

          you do not simply own a Bianchi
        you have a relationship with your
                        Bianchi
                 Trina "Celeste" B

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2 11:06 AM
          How can you miss the 5 daily repeats!

          An exciting stage to kick of the race. Nothing normal about this year. Yet.
          Rick

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2 5:09 PM
            >I KNOW this is off subject for the group but I enjoy watching!

            Okay, a trivia question to get the thread on topic:

            Last time (if ever) a tdf racer used an igh in the tdf?

            Rick
          • Jeffrey T. HansPetersen
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2 5:54 PM

              Thanks for an intriguing mechanohistorical challenge, Rick. As my knowledge of TdF history is eclipsed by even my meager IGH know-how, I'm exploring the googlized histories of both. I just came across this discussion, which, with a lot of scrolling, presents a commenter's exposition on IGH use in England and the rediscovery of derailleurs in France in the early 20th c.

              But, no, I don't have an answer to today's poser...

              Jeff HP.
              ---
              From the virtual desk of Jeffrey T. HansPetersen.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2 5:54 PM
                And naturally I'd omit the link: http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-339579.html

                ---
                From the virtual desk of Jeffrey T. HansPetersen.

                On Jul 2, 2011, at 5:54 PM, "Jeffrey T. HansPetersen" <hansjef@...> wrote:

                Thanks for an intriguing mechanohistorical challenge, Rick. As my knowledge of TdF history is eclipsed by even my meager IGH know-how, I'm exploring the googlized histories of both. I just came across this discussion, which, with a lot of scrolling, presents a commenter's exposition on IGH use in England and the rediscovery of derailleurs in France in the early 20th c.

                But, no, I don't have an answer to today's poser...

                Jeff HP.
                ---
                From the virtual desk of Jeffrey T. HansPetersen.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2 9:17 PM
                  The book "The Dancing Chain" mentions use of an SA IGH in the TDF in the very early 20s if I recall correctly. Have to see if I can find the mention of it.

                  Keep in mind too that TDF rules and classes have varied greatly over the years and there was a period when there was a professional rider class where gears were forbidden and a amateur/randonneur class which allowed gearing.

                  Rich Wood

                  --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "Paulos, Richard G" <rick-paulos@...> wrote:

                  > >I KNOW this is off subject for the group but I enjoy watching!
                  >
                  > Okay, a trivia question to get the thread on topic:
                  >
                  > Last time (if ever) a tdf racer used an igh in the tdf?
                  >

                  > Rick

                • Rich W
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 3 12:04 AM
                    My date was way too late for the listed use of IGH units in the TDF. On page 92 of "The Dancing Chain" the following information is given:

                    "Though hub and bracket gears were not designed for racing, Petit-Breton won several stages of the Tour Of Italy using a Sturmey-Archer three-speed hub. He also used one in the 1911 and 1913 Tour de France. Brocco used a two speed Cornet hub."

                    The same page has a reprint of a French languaage advertisement by Sturmey Archer about the use of their hub in the 1913 event. No mention of the year(s) that the stages of the Tour of Italy were won.

                    Not sure if this was the last use but after WW1 gearing was apparently banned totally from the TDF in the professional class until the 1937 event, per my available information.

                    Rich Wood

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 3 10:04 AM
                      > "...Petit-Breton won several stages of the Tour
                      > Of Italy using a Sturmey-Archer three-speed hub.
                      > He also used one in the 1911 and 1913 Tour de France.

                      Exactement, mon ami.

                      <http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/images/photos/pic-200.jpg>

                      > Not sure if this was the last use but after WW1 gearing
                      > was apparently banned totally from the TDF in the
                      > professional class until the 1937 event...

                      Henri Desgrange had a real bug about variable gears (perhaps because of the massive embarrassment he received from Velocio at the 1902 touring trial). Even beginning in 1937 the exact manufacture and type of variable gears that could be used was specified.

                      The Tour was just about the last race to allow the use of variable gears. Opperman said he'd been using variable gears in the spring Classics beginning in the early 1930s.

                      Of course the Tour isn't the only race in the world. In Great Britain one could use pretty much any drivetrain one wanted, and in the 1930s riders using derailleur geared and IGH bikes competed against one another. On the eve of WWII, riders using IGHs had taken all the major British titles (LEJoG, 1000 miles, 24 hours, Edinburgh-London, year mileage, one hour and Isle of Mann road race).