Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: Tandem Hub

  • sam lingo
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 22, 2011
    • 2 Attachments
    • 6.4 MB

    --- On Tue, 6/21/11, pj <prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:

    From: pj <prester_john_in_cathay@...>
    Subject: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: Tandem Hub
    To: Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com
    Date: Tuesday, June 21, 2011, 9:10 PM

    > I'm hoping to do this on the cheap as I only
    > paid £72 for the Tandem. This kind of rules
    > out Rohloff or NuVinci etc. I really don't want
    > to cold set the frame from 114 to 135 unless
    > it's unavoidable but will if older Sturmey Archer
    > hubs aren't up to the tandem loading.
    >
    > So far it's looking like FM or AW hubs are a bad
    > option so my question now is: are there geared
    > hubs that can fit (or be made to fit) the 114 rear
    > dropout dimensions?

    The S-A "K" family of hubs was ~advertised~ as tandem suitable

    <http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/images/photos/pic-45.jpg>

    and they come up on ebay-uk with regularity, but I'm skeptical that they'd really give better service than a new SRF3.

    And, well, 74 years ago S-A didn't flinch when recommending the AW for tandems.

    <http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/images/photos/pic-57.9.jpg>

    Folks swore these hubs gave good service on tandems, too:

    <http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/images/photos/pic-57.5.jpg>

    Anyway, my notes say Christine @ www.take2move.de in Germany was able to source a SRAM S5 Cargo.

    Me, on a budget? I'd probably go out-of-phase and spread the frame to 129mm, then fit a S-A RSRF3. Not expensive, and has a solid axle.

    The S-A XRF8(W) can get down to 116mm OLD (close enough) and has a beefy, solid axle, but you'd get into issues (mostly more expense) of regearing the drive crank.

    pj

  • Mike Wilson
    Message 2 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
      Sturmey Archer made both KT and AT hubs for tandem use. Both had larger drum brakes than the KB or AB. I do not know if the internal gears were stronger.