Re: Rohloff question, axle nut vs quick release

  • Rich W
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 6, 2011
      David;

      IMO a Pitlock is probably more secure than either a normal skewer or a nutted axle. IIRC Pitlock even makes special axle nuts that fit the nutted Rohloff too as an additional security option. Most secure though is a decent chain through the frame and rear wheel as well as around an immovable object.

      I suspect that a bike thief would need to be pretty sophisticated, and know a interested buyer, to steal any IGH wheel though. They are still not mainstream in the USA and most bike thieves are druggies who want maximum easy sellability for quick drug money.

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, David Chase <dr2chase@...> wrote:

      > I'm pondering a possible Rohloff purchase, and one thing I noted on Vik B's writeup ( http://viksbigdummy.blogspot.com/2008/04/getting-right-rohloff-for-your-big.html ) was that quick release is the way to go, unless I have some "uber heavy duty application".
      >
      > Why so? In my case, I am more worried about theft than ease of wheel removal (which is pretty easy anyhow, I carry a wrench), and quick release makes it ever-so-slightly easier to steal a wheel. Or is the right answer "pitlock", which implies a quick release axle?
      >
      > David

    • Colin Bryant
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 7, 2011
        My "right answer" is to lock the bike by it's frame and rear wheel, given the rear is always the most expensive to replace.

        --
        Colin Bryant
        Vancouver, Canada

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 7, 2011
          Rich,

          I agree about who the bike thief's are (around here anyway), but having an IGH (Alfine 8) on my bike didn't detour them from stealing the whole locked bike, while I was in a store for 10 minutes.  There were a lot of other bikes with cheaper locks and no IGH's, in the same rack.

          --
          Colin Bryant
          Vancouver, Canada