Re: Making Nexus Inter7 Single Speed

  • Rich W
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2011
      John;

      Welcome to the group.

      Is the hub stuck in the lowest gear due to problems with the hub itself or with the shifter, or cable? The Shimano 7 speed shifter and cable are readily replaceable at relatively low expense, as is the cassette joint assembly, depending on where the problem is.

      Possible to fit the hub with a fairly small rear sprocket which might give you an adequate gearing in the lowest gear to act as a single speed but replacing the rear wheel with a proper single peed rear wheel would be more mechanically efficient, and lower weight, than running the hub continuously in low gear.

      Harris Cyclery lists Shimano IGH sprockets starting at 16 teeth and SA sprockets for 1/8" chain starting at 14 teeth. It is up to you to determine if this is small enough. What is your current wheel size and the size of both the front chainring and rear sprocket? Without that info it is hard to advise you.

      Rich Wood

      --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "john.negroponte" <john.negroponte@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I hate this Drum gears stuck in the lowest gear and want to make it a fixed speed with the smallest cog manually put forward. Any help?

    • John Negroponte
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2011
        Rich,

        The bike in question is Decathlon Triban Road 5, the shifter and the cable and the plastic thingies were ripped off by some vandals, only the hub itself is intact and is stuck in the lowest gear. I want to somehow to manually shift the gears in the highest to artificially making it fixed single speed. There is only one cog in the front of the moderate size and 7 in the rear. To put the new single-speed wheel is to recognize the stupidity of the drum-gear and my own to buy it in the first pace.
        Thanks,

        John

        Is the hub stuck in the lowest gear due to problems with the hub itself or with the shifter, or cable? The Shimano 7 speed shifter and cable are readily replaceable at relatively low expense, as is the cassette joint assembly, depending on where the problem is.

        Possible to fit the hub with a fairly small rear sprocket which might give you an adequate gearing in the lowest gear to act as a single speed but replacing the rear wheel with a proper single peed rear wheel would be more mechanically efficient, and lower weight, than running the hub continuously in low gear.

        Harris Cyclery lists Shimano IGH sprockets starting at 16 teeth and SA sprockets for 1/8" chain starting at 14 teeth. It is up to you to determine if this is small enough. What is your current wheel size and the size of both the front chainring and rear sprocket? Without that info it is hard to advise you.

        Rich Wood

        --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "john.negroponte" <john.negroponte@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I hate this Drum gears stuck in the lowest gear and want to make it a fixed speed with the smallest cog manually put forward. Any help?

      • Bruce
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2011
          John, if you really wanted to lock out the Inter7 to a single gear (of your choice), I would imagine you could install a very short length of cable to the 'cassette joint pulley' and at some convenient place along the chainstay or seat stay, terminate it with a cable clamp (maybe with an adjuster so you could select individual gears)... fiddle with it until you have the gear you want, then lock it down.. just random thoughts..

          --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, John Negroponte <john.negroponte@...> wrote:

          > Rich,
          >
          > The bike in question is Decathlon Triban Road 5, the shifter and the cable and
          > the plastic thingies were ripped off by some vandals, only the hub itself is
          > intact and is stuck in the lowest gear. I want to somehow to manually shift the
          > gears in the highest to artificially making it fixed single speed. There is only
          > one cog in the front of the moderate size and 7 in the rear. To put the new
          > single-speed wheel is to recognize the stupidity of the drum-gear and my own to
          > buy it in the first pace.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >

          > John
        • John Negroponte
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2011
            Bruce,
            The bike in question is Decathlon Triban Road 5 (1 front cog and 7-gear drum) which is stuck in the lowest after some vandals ripped off the shifter, cable and pulley and all the plastic stuff leaving only the drum. The idea is to manually change the gear to the highest (the smallest cog0 making it a fixed speed bike.

            Thanks,

            John

            John, if you really wanted to lock out the Inter7 to a single gear (of your choice), I would imagine you could install a very short length of cable to the 'cassette joint pulley' and at some convenient place along the chainstay or seat stay, terminate it with a cable clamp (maybe with an adjuster so you could select individual gears)... fiddle with it until you have the gear you want, then lock it down.. just random thoughts..

            --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, John Negroponte <john.negroponte@...> wrote:

            > Rich,
            >
            > The bike in question is Decathlon Triban Road 5, the shifter and the cable and
            > the plastic thingies were ripped off by some vandals, only the hub itself is
            > intact and is stuck in the lowest gear. I want to somehow to manually shift the
            > gears in the highest to artificially making it fixed single speed. There is only
            > one cog in the front of the moderate size and 7 in the rear. To put the new
            > single-speed wheel is to recognize the stupidity of the drum-gear and my own to
            > buy it in the first pace.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >

            > John

          • Rich W
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2011
              John;

              The suggeasted "Fix" noted will work or a twist grip version shifter for the hub is readily available. The fix is dependent on the thieves not having damaged the cable hookup mechanism on the hub, the so called "cassette joint". If they did then the cassette joint is replaceable. This fix is an easy one if you are familiar with working on bikes. The main worry is getting the cable adjusted so that the internal hub mechanism is properly centered on the selected gear. This is best done by permanently aligning the dots used for cable adjustment which should put you permanently in 4th gear IIRC.

              No idea what your budget is or how familiar you are at working on your bike but Amazon vendors list the shifter starting at about $17 or any dealer should be able to order it for you.

              http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Nexus-7S10-7sp-Revo-shifter/dp/B000R3CBRU/ref=sr_1_9?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1304274006&sr=1-9

              If the cassette joint is damaged it is available on Amazon for $10.43. Again any decent dealer should also be able to order and install it.

              http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Nexus-Inter-7-Cassette-Joint/dp/B001GSOPB0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1304274580&sr=1-1

              These two items plus a standard shifter cable and some outer housing, tie wrapped to the frame, should restore the bike to full 7 speed functionality. IMO this is how I would go if it was my bike.

              As a DIY project fixing the bike should be a $35 to $40 project. A competent dealer should be able to do it for $60 to $70 I would think.

              Rich Wood

              --- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, John Negroponte <john.negroponte@...> wrote:

              > Bruce,
              > The bike in question is Decathlon Triban Road 5 (1 front cog and 7-gear drum)
              > which is stuck in the lowest after some vandals ripped off the shifter, cable
              > and pulley and all the plastic stuff leaving only the drum. The idea is to
              > manually change the gear to the highest (the smallest cog0 making it a fixed
              > speed bike.
              >

              > Thanks,
              >

              > John

            • Rich W
              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2011
                John;

                For even the simple cable attachment setup to hold the hub in a higher than first gear some parts will be required. The shift cable clamp nut that connects the cable to the cassette joint is the one Shimano special part needed.

                http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Alfine-Nexus-shift-fixing/dp/B001GSQW9I/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1304313287&sr=1-4

                Also a short length of shifter cable and some means of clamping it to the frame in the desired position.

                I repeat that a replacement shifter is IMO the preferred solution however. It will return the bike to full functionality.

                Rich Wood