Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Re: Chosen Fixed/Free Hub

  • Rick Paulos
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 14, 2011
      I always thought there would be a big market for a cable operated
      freewheel / neutral (in both directions) hub.

      Squeeze a brake-lever and you get nothing? yeah, perfect for those
      highly talented bmx'rs who can ride backwards but have to pedal
      backwards because of the freewheel action. A neutral would allow them
      to coast backwards without pedaling at all. Having to pedal reduces
      the speed, balance and momentum and just isn't very graceful. Such a
      hub would have to be bomb proof. I suppose you could accomplish
      nearly the same thing by removing one set of pawls from an AW hub but
      I don't see those hubs taking the kind of abuse bmx half pipe stunt
      riders dish out to their bikes. Plus indicator chain sticking out
      could be a problem.

      You would need a good gyro for the tail whips and handle bar spins.

      Rick

      At 01:13 PM 4/14/2011, you wrote:
      >How long until someone does a multi speed fixed-free hub again? Per
      >my understanding BSA offered such a hub briefly and it is now a
      >quite scarce collectors item even in GB.
      >
      >Rich Wood
      >
      >--- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pj"
      ><prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Did we talk about this? I can't find mention of it in the archives.
      > >
      > > Now joining SRAM and Affix in the "no-flip" fixed/free hub market
      > is Chosen:
      > >
      > > <http://www.chosen-hubs.com/pro.php?sid=79&tid=83&p_no=292>
      > >
      > > or
      > >
      > > http://tinyurl.com/4ybpoc5

    • Joe Bunik
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 14, 2011
        Rick
        You mean like a freecoaster?
        http://www.free-coaster.com/
        =- Joe Bunik
        Walnut Creek, CA

        On 4/14/11, Rick Paulos <rick-paulos@...> wrote:
        > I always thought there would be a big market for a cable operated
        > freewheel / neutral (in both directions) hub.
        >
        > Squeeze a brake-lever and you get nothing? yeah, perfect for those
        > highly talented bmx'rs who can ride backwards but have to pedal
        > backwards because of the freewheel action. A neutral would allow them
        > to coast backwards without pedaling at all. Having to pedal reduces
        > the speed, balance and momentum and just isn't very graceful. Such a
        > hub would have to be bomb proof. I suppose you could accomplish
        > nearly the same thing by removing one set of pawls from an AW hub but
        > I don't see those hubs taking the kind of abuse bmx half pipe stunt
        > riders dish out to their bikes. Plus indicator chain sticking out
        > could be a problem.
        >
        > You would need a good gyro for the tail whips and handle bar spins.
        >
        > Rick
        >

        > At 01:13 PM 4/14/2011, you wrote:
        >>How long until someone does a multi speed fixed-free hub again? Per
        >>my understanding BSA offered such a hub briefly and it is now a
        >>quite scarce collectors item even in GB.
        >>
        >>Rich Wood
        >>
        >>--- In Geared_hub_bikes@yahoogroups.com, "pj"
        >><prester_john_in_cathay@...> wrote:
        >> >
        >> > Did we talk about this? I can't find mention of it in the archives.
        >> >
        >> > Now joining SRAM and Affix in the "no-flip" fixed/free hub market
        >> is Chosen:
        >> >
        >> > <http://www.chosen-hubs.com/pro.php?sid=79&tid=83&p_no=292>
        >> >
        >> > or
        >> >
        >> > http://tinyurl.com/4ybpoc5

      • Rick Paulos
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 14, 2011
          Wow, didn't know they existed. I would think the X games guys would
          be using them.

          here's a good vid on the guts and how they work with some impressive
          riding. yeah, jumping off 10 steps, backwards, landing backwards too!

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12I8iK12oqA

          Rick

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 14, 2011
            Re: [Geared_hub_bikes] Chosen Fixed/Free Hub
             I think applying this concept to a fixed/free chainring or cog would be just the icing on the cake for an S3X.

            --

            Mark Stonich;
              BikeSmith Design & Fabrication